What is your favorite Japanese dish?

pinkcherrychef

Local time
3:15 PM
One of my favorite cuisines besides middle Eastern food is Japanese food. On this thread I would like us to discuss our favorite Japanese dish.

Tell us why you like it and what makes it so special? Perhaps you don't have a favorite but you have a recipe you really want to try out. Tell us why it strikes your fancy.

If you don't have a favorite or perhaps you've never tried Japanese food before. Well what better time to go take a look and see which one strikes your fancy and tell us about it.

My favorite dish has to be the classic Miso soup.
The first time I tried it my taste buds were dancing lol.
The best way I can describe it is that it was like I was tasting the sea's finest delicacy.

The delicate and light fish broth adds the most delightful fish taste but light enough to not take over the soup. The kombu adds the perfect texture firm and chewy. The shiitake mushrooms add that nice veggie meat flavor.

The miso it self adds that wonderful ever so slightly sour and fermented taste. The soy sauce is the last touch that adds a salty and gives it a nice kick. The whole dish to mea just seems rather poetic.

Put together so perfectly it makes me wonder if a poet who loved the sea decided to make this ancient japanese dish.

Last edited:
Homemade spicy tuna rolls, but they use Korean kimchi base for the spice. I can take other sushi, but those are my favorite. Have you ever had Uni? I think we prefer Korean and Thai more than Japanese.

Put together so perfectly it makes me wonder if a poet who loved the sea decided to make this ancient japanese dish.

How very nicely expressed !

I love miso soup too - but I had always thought that it contained kombu rather than nori.

Maybe I've been trying a different variation to the one you know and love....?

We love sushi and sometimes eat out at sushi restaurants, We also have have a great restaurant locally which delivers sushi to your home.

My gag reflex never let me enjoy sushi :(. It's a shame really it's tasty but I can't enjoy it because of that lol. I am however able to enjoy sash-mi or cooked sushi without any problems. The spicy mayo with orange caviar on some sash-mi is so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Homemade spicy tuna rolls, but they use Korean kimchi base for the spice. I can take other sushi, but those are my favorite. Have you ever had Uni? I think we prefer Korean and Thai more than Japanese.

We tend to go more Thai and Korean as Japanese doesn't feature much around here. We have been to Thailand twice and love the food.

I love tempura, vegetable and protein, as well as sushi, though I prefer shrimp, crab (real stuff, not Krab) or vegetable. There's also a salad made with either shrimp, squid, conch or a combo thereof over a base of seeded, sliced cucumbers and grated carrots, dressed with a dressing made with kimchee base and honey. Not sure if it's actually Japanese or Japanese-American though. Tuna or beef tataki is also a favorite here.

BTW, the kimchee base Craig referenced above regarding tuna sushi is not Korean I found out just recently and had forgot about mentioning it to him. It's a Japanese product and can be interchanged with Sriracha.

Gyoza, tempura, stir frys. The secret to the latter is probably in their sauce. There are a few Teppanyaki places I like. You pick your protein - chicken beef or shrimp, they add their sauce, and stir-fry it up - Benihana Style. Paired with the fresh crispness of assorted veggies, makes a perfect meal for me. I also enjoy their cucumber salad with sesame seeds.

ETA - not a big fan of sushi, but I will eat a California roll on occasion. I suspect some places use fake crab (krab) to cut costs. Not for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom