What is your favourite bread?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:08 PM
Do you have a favourite bread? Are you a fan of sourdough? Do you prefer white or wholemeal bread? Which kinds of grains do you prefer? If you bake your own bread I would love to know what types of bread you make!

I love sourdough. French bread is a south Louisiana staple. I can get both fresh baked from local markets and deli's. I like a multi grain brown bread. I don't use it as much as I used to after reading the ingredients on the mass produced breads - even the expensive ones. If I have trouble pronouncing the ingredients I really don't want to eat the end product.

I have an aversion to sliced, mass produced white bread. :yuck: I think it is a textural thing. I can tolerate it toasted but still do not care for it.

I really have to get off of my bottom and try baking bread. I am afraid to try. Maybe next time George works out of town. If it is a fail I can feed it to the birds.

Cool idea for a post ..

The bread I consider worth trading countries for is: Baguette du Perche, Normandie .. ( The Baguettes of Perche, Normandy ) .. By: David Lambert and flour or Farine du Perche, by: Philippe Gallioz and Jean Larrivère .. Bio organic of course ..

Breads I also enjoy:

Spanish Breads:
Gallega ( a Spanish Rustic type Baguette with knotted ends )
Chapata ( a rectangular rustic bread )
Horgaza ( a large circular rustic Galician Bread )

Switzerland:
Swiss Black Bread with flax (yes linen or flax )

Austria, Germany & Switzerland:
Rustic Rye Bread with Caraway Seeds

Greece:
Authentic Greek Pita ..

Italy:
Geonvese Focaccia ..
Italian Rustic Baguette Bio

Baking Breads: The only bread I prepare is Genovese Focaccia ..

In France, a croissant is a breakfast pastry not really a bread though in Spain they serve prawn salad and / or egg salad with lettuce and tomato in them in bus station and train station bars .. We only eat them tradtional style for brunch or breakfast with our Espresso ..

I really have to get off of my bottom and try baking bread. I am afraid to try.
Its really very easy indeed to make a basic bread. Nothing to fear. Unlike a cake you can open the oven towards the end of cooking to check and it won't collapse! I always make bread by hand but I know that a lot of people use the dough hook on a stand mixer. I use dried instant yeast usually. Its pretty foolproof. One thing that is great about making bread is that aside from a bit of kneading it doesn't require much labour (about 15 mins of your for the most for a basic loaf) the rest of the time it looks after itself.

I like all sorts of bread, but what would you expect from ducks? I suppose my standard "home" bread is wholemeal, but I like a crusty baguette, ciabatta, Irish soda bread, Irish wheat bread, chapatis, naans and a good few others. One I never really came to terms with is injera, the flat bread that you see everywhere in Ethiopia and Eritrea. I found it just about okay when absolutely fresh, but it can often have the appearance, and indeed taste, of carpet underfelt that has been soaked in vinegar.

Ok! You have convinced me to try. I have @Elawin's recipe saved to my favorites and a couple of other recipes for beginners that I found on line. I will get the ingredients but will wait for George to travel before actually trying to bake bread.

Once I get the hang of basic bread I will want to try Sourdough. Talk about getting ambitious.

Ok! You have convinced me to try. I have @Elawin's recipe saved to my favorites and a couple of other recipes for beginners that I found on line. I will get the ingredients but will wait for George to travel before actually trying to bake bread.

Once I get the hang of basic bread I will want to try Sourdough. Talk about getting ambitious.

I found a very basic bread recipe I posted ages ago - it uses the one rise method to make it even simpler - it also includes American conversions and suggestions for the yeast in the U.S. etc. See here: Basic white bread (simple one-rise method)

My favourite bread is home-made! Wholemeal, half and half, or white, plus soda bread, potato bread (farls), chapattis, paratha and naan, are the ones I usually make completely by hand. At the moment I'm still using kits for sourdough, focaccia and ciabatta, plus some of the flavoured breads. I very occasionally buy French sticks, baguettes,and garlic bread (usually the frozen ones). What I am looking for though is a good black pumpernickel like the one I used to buy in Germany, but most of the ones I've found here don't even come close. (Sainsbury's suggested I try Harringtons Dry Dog Food, lamb and rice, and look in their recipes for ideas :roflmao:, but I don't think so. Even the gutbucket mutt won't eat it!)

I spotted this on Amazon. Jamaican duck bread. Does not contain duck.

81t7UGEPPJL._SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom