What is your favourite bread?

...I really have to get off of my bottom and try baking bread. I am afraid to try. Maybe next time George works out of town. If it is a fail I can feed it to the birds.
Homemade bread is delicious. It always tastes like "just one more slice". Fair warning: if you bake bread, your bottom could get bigger. :wink:

Having said that, I have an fail-proof bread recipe. It isn't a kneaded bread, it is a yeast batter bread. It has a wonderful, fine texture with a nice crumb, but no crusty top. It's great for sandwiches, but is a long way away from commercial sandwich bread. I make it in a large (10 inch) bundt pan, but I think you could get two nice loaves if you used 9x5 bread pans. I won't have the chance to bake much until January, but the next time I make this I plan on trying the 2 bread pans.

Here is the link to the recipe: Sally Lunn Bread However, that is not the recipe I actually use. Therefore, more importantly, here is the link to my post, which includes the differences between the online recipe and the recipe I actually use from The Williamsburg Cook Book: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-have-you-been-baking.9825/#post-82371 There is also a pretty picture of the bread at the top of that page. :D

Looks yummy!

In the early 80's I was stationed at CINCLANTFLT, Norfolk, Va. (UNS). I loved Old Williamsburg and visited frequently. My escape. That was the first time I had Welsh Rarebit. Silly me. I thought it was Welsh Rabbit! Imagine my surprise when I was served a beautiful plate of cheesy wonderfulness. I had Welsh Rarebit every time I visited Old Williamsburg.

Last edited:
I like all kinds of bread ... and resisting it is not always easy. Let's say if I eat a pasta dish, I do not eat bread (too much carbohydrates), but with great sacrifice.
Anyway my favorites are: Apulian bread (crispy crusty). Whole bread and bread with semolina flour, french baguette, tuscan bread (unsalted) oiled bread and multigrains bread and I recently discovered turmeric and aloe bread.

French bread is a staple in south Louisiana. It is available fresh baked (hot) from local markets and bakeries. I cut it lengthwise. Slather with butter. Add minced fresh or roasted garlic. Add a very generous layer of grated Parmesan Reggiano. Top with chopped flat leaf parsley or thinly sliced green onions or both. Turn the oven on to broil. Set the bread on a sheet pan on the bottom rack. Leave the oven door cracked 2". Cook until cheese is melted and just begins to brown.

Chow down.

A must have with Gumbo, Sauce Picante and other gravy laden dishes.

French bread is a staple in south Louisiana. It is available fresh baked (hot) from local markets and bakeries. I cut it lengthwise. Slather with butter. Add minced fresh or roasted garlic. Add a very generous layer of grated Parmesan Reggiano. Top with chopped flat leaf parsley or thinly sliced green onions or both. Turn the oven on to broil. Set the bread on a sheet pan on the bottom rack. Leave the oven door cracked 2". Cook until cheese is melted and just begins to brown.

Chow down.

:hungry:

I like all kinds of bread ... and resisting it is not always easy. Let's say if I eat a pasta dish, I do not eat bread (too much carbohydrates), but with great sacrifice.
Anyway my favorites are: Apulian bread (crispy crusty). Whole bread and bread with semolina flour, french baguette, tuscan bread (unsalted) oiled bread and multigrains bread and I recently discovered turmeric and aloe bread.

@MypinchofItaly

There is an Italian Crisp bread in Sardegna called: Carta di Musica .. In English: The Music Sheet ..
The récipe given to me in the Barbaggia Mountains at a rural farm is:

2 Cups whole wheat pastry flour bio
2 cups semolina flour
1 1/4 tsps salt
1 1 /3 cups luke warm wáter
3 tblsps of Italian Bio Extra virgin olive oil

Absolutely amazing ..

Of course, I love Italian breads however, I never eat plastic supermarket breads .. I go to the bakery and get my breads straight out of the oven ..

Tuscan bread is a real treat as well as Apulian ..

@MypinchofItaly

There is an Italian Crisp bread in Sardegna called: Carta di Musica .. In English: The Music Sheet ..

2 cups semolina flour
1 1/4 tsps salt

Absolutely amazing ..

Of course, I love Italian breads however, I never eat plastic supermarket breads .. I go to the bakery and get my breads straight out of the oven ..

Oh yes! Carta da musica and also Su Carasau or Pane Pistoccu, I know them perfectly and I like them, but are not my favourities...
Apulian bread is on top for me.
I also like sesame seeds bread, arabic bread and piadina romagnola.

@MypinchofItaly

I enjoy bread period except for a few types ..

The 3 mentioned above, I have sampled the 2 Italian Breads and had some amazing bread in Morocco as well .. I love Greek Pita as well which I had previously mentioned ..

I love bread sticks too .. Griselli .. Dangerous .. I could eat a whole basket myself with some cheese !!! Ha Ha Ha ..

Must go as it is late and I am very busy at office Thursday ..

Have a lovely evening. Buonanotte ..

@MypinchofItaly

I enjoy bread period except for a few types ..

The 3 mentioned above, I have sampled the 2 Italian Breads and had some amazing bread in Morocco as well .. I love Greek Pita as well which I had previously mentioned ..

I love bread sticks too .. Griselli .. Dangerous .. I could eat a whole basket myself with some cheese !!! Ha Ha Ha ..

Must go as it is late and I am very busy at office Thursday ..

Have a lovely evening. Buonanotte ..

For Griselli do you mean Grissini?
Oh Dear, I perfectly understand you! Very very dangerous!

@MypinchofItaly

2 cups semolina flour
1 1/4 tsps salt

Absolutely amazing ..

It would be great if you could write this up as a recipe in its own right. In her it will get list and not used.

Back
Top Bottom