What is your favourite savoury pie?

Ex's Father used to make a wonderful tourtiere.
Still make it on occasion ..with chicken fricot & other French Canadian/Acadian foods.

Used to make mini-turkey pot pies with holiday leftovers....but they don't turn my crank lately....snore..
(might try doing SV dismembered turkey this Easter) ;-)

What's the difference?

Russ
Steak and kidney pudding is steamed in a suet crust:

img16631.660x440.jpg

I'd eat that.

Russ
I've noticed a few people Stateside saying in the past that they wouldn't really eat suet as its regarded as unhealthy. I don't personally think so but I do in fact use vegetable suet so that I can make vegan steamed pies and dumplings.

I try to only use beef suet although it's not usually available. I did grudgingly use vegetable suet in Kuala Lumpur on occasions.

Veggie suet is just oil whipped and stabilized with flour, yes?

I've noticed a few people Stateside saying in the past that they wouldn't really eat suet as its regarded as unhealthy. I don't personally think so but I do in fact use vegetable suet so that I can make vegan steamed pies and dumplings.
Slightly off topic, but this reminded me that my Grandmother used to make suet sponge puddings. She would fill assorted old teacups with various different fillings, jams, treacle, sultanas and the suet sponge mixture, then steam them in a pan of water on the stove. Served with custard made using Birds Custard Powder - I loved the smell of that stuff!

Back
Top Bottom