What is your favourite tinned food?

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
8:54 PM
I was walking around the supermarket today and started thinking about all the tinned food that is available. I don't really use many tinned foods except for tinned tomatoes and baked beans although I do remember we had a lot of tins in the cupboard when I was a child. So, I bought a tin of pineapple with the idea of making a crumble to follow Sunday lunch. I thought my grandson might like it. I haven't thought of making this for years. I wondered how may people here used tinned food and what was their favourite product.

Tomatoes, mushrooms (for when fresh not available), baked beans and hot dog sausages.

But I guess this is my favourite..........

Branston Ravioli.jpg

I've never been impressed with tinned beer; nor bottled beer come to that matter. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the latter here in Nakhorn Nowhere.

I've never been impressed with tinned beer; nor bottled beer come to that matter. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the latter here in Nakhorn Nowhere.

Good point. I'll drink bottled but not canned at home. Fortunately for me (sorry Yorky) there are loads of breweries near me and loads of beer (and cider) festivals.

Black Sheep - 6X - Goliath - does the joy never end !:D [Sorry]
Back to tins - pineapple [although I prefer fresh] - baked beans - and our local Tesco do some wonderful mushy peas which I'm sure a bad for you but they are bright green and just like the ones I remember as a child - just wonderful.

Tinned tuna, a good source of protein and easy to make up sandwich filler with mayo and/or salad cream, a touch of chilli sauce salt and pepper, also finely shopped shallot if required.

Baked beans, tin tomatoes for chilli or bolognese.

Tinned tuna, a good source of protein and easy to make up sandwich filler with mayo and/or salad cream, a touch of chilli sauce salt and pepper, also finely shopped shallot if required.

I used to really like tinned tuna sarnies but mine were with onions (or shallots) and loads of vinegar.

I must try those again with sourdough.

I used to really like tinned tuna sarnies but mine were with onions (or shallots) and loads of vinegar.

I must try those again with sourdough.

I am a big fan of vinegar but have been advised to cut back/out on acidic stuff so rarely used now, my chips used to practically swim in the stuff, not any more :(

We always get canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, and sweet peas when we do our monthly grocery shopping. Along with some different tomato sauces, canned soups, and individual portions of fruits so we can have a light dessert some days.

Canned tomatoes are a great product! I use them all the time. I was surprised by you saying peas. Most people I know (in the UK) buy frozen as they are pretty close to fresh peas (having bean frozen shortly after picking) and they are relatively cheap.

Soups - yes. Its easy to make soup but I still like certain varieties of tinned soup. I think its childhood comfort food!

3 things ..

Italian canned tomatoes for the base of a good tomato sauce from Italy ..

Italian Tomato Paste from Italy ..

Canned Albacore Tuna by Cuca, from Galicia in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Bonito ( Tuna Fish ) from Cuca in Evoo ..
However, normally I prefer the " Glass Jars of Tuna Fish " and the Ventresca which is extraordinarily white ..and marinated in Evoo.

That is all ..

Good question ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

I have tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, baked beans, and a few tins of various other beans because I can't usually be bothered to use dried beans.

No real favourite, but the one tinned product I miss is the tinned mutton we used to get years ago to make mutton curry. Some of the supermarkets do an "Irish Stew" which contains mutton but it is pretty awful and definitely not suitable to go in a curry.

Back
Top Bottom