What kind of music do you like?

Classical (Baroque, Mozart, Beethoven, Smetana, most of the Russian classical types), Bluegrass (Nothin' Fancy, Seldom Scene, etc.), Blues (New Orleans, Chicago, rock/blues, performers such as Taj Mahal, Big Mama Thornton, etc. ), Folk (Celtic, Scandinavian, and folk singers such as Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce, Arlo Guthrie, Hevia, etc.), Rock (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s - includes Depeche Mode, Concrete Blonde, Jethro Tull, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Robin Trower, Tricky, Wire, Indigo Girls, Richard Thompson). There's more, including Caribbean, reggae, "Afro-fusion" and Middle-eastern.

Not fond of operatic vocals, Barry Manilow, most disco, Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby.

Last edited:
I think I'm the biggest ramones fan here. We have a big party once a year and around 8 o clock everyone knows when Roy Orbison cd comes out the dancing starts,lol. My son txt me the other day and said he just bought the same cd black and white of Roy as well. Roy had the most incredible voice. That album is my fave.

Russ

Downloaded Van Morrison's live album "Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl" (2008) on Tuesday. Listened to it today. Very good.

I'm into classic rock, '60's, 70's and 80's country, southern rock, bluegrass, folk, Cajun and Zydeco and Celtic Woman. I used to pi$$ my daughter off driving her to school by playing Black Sabbath.

I always played in the car Rodney rude CDs. If you want a laugh giggle Rodney rude and McDonald's. I've actually been on stage with Rodney here in Chch many years ago, I sang 2 dirty limericks. Lol.
Sat Nav may have heard of him, he's an Aussie.

Russ

My music taste is so eclectic it is almost schizophrenic
I listen to symphonies , 60's and 70's oldies, beach music, C&W preferably older
Blue Grass, Motown, Traditional Cajun and Zydeco
Classic Rock
Not much on Heavy Metal and I do not understand Rap. I also do not appreciate the profanity of many Rap songs.
Broadway songs . Jazz
Piano mostly classical but I appreciate and enjoy any talented pianist
Love Elton John.
I was a child of Beatle Mania. I fell in love with those mop top boys
I loved their music then and love it now - as a group and as individual artists.
When I am driving I crank up the radio volume and search for songs that I can sing with
I can not carry a tune in a bucket
Singing in the car is such fun because my vocal ability does not matter

The only "rap" I listen to are songs like Ringo (Lorne Green) and Big Bad John (Tennessee Ernie Ford, Jimmy Dean and the CDB)

After 52 years owning a pair of ears I have gained an appreciation for many forms of music, from punk and bluegrass to soul and string quartets, but in recent years I find myself drawn to Icelandic music and songwriters. Sigur Ros, Mum, Arnon Dan and Icelandic folk music, but my favourite is Olafur Arnalds, I find everything that he composes to be beautiful.

View: https://youtu.be/oSgaGlKr-pA

His work included the song I want played as my coffin dips behind the curtains. For me, the most perfect composition I have ever heard. Tomorrow's Song.

View: https://youtu.be/W9t3mbv2Hd8

But before I get all morkish, may I mention that I own a banjo and can murder a few bluegrass standards in a very bad Scruggs style.

Edit: May I also add that I watched La Boheme performed at The Sydney Opera House. So having seen the greatest opera performed at one of the most iconic venues, I really don't get Opera at all

Last edited:
Edit: May I also add that I watched La Boheme performed at The Sydney Opera House. So having seen the greatest opera performed at one of the most iconic venues, I really don't get Opera at all

You are not alone in that. I find it artificial, pretensious and at times rather silly. I have enjoyed Gilbert and Sullivan once or twice but that is comedy, of course.

Downloaded Van Morrison's live album "Astral Weeks at the Hollywood Bowl" (2008) on Tuesday. Listened to it today. Very good.

Whenever I think of Van Morrison, "It's a marvelous night for a Moondance" gets stuck in my head.

I find this lady's music particularly haunting.

Back
Top Bottom