What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came home from work today to find out the grandkids are spending the night

20180614_164546.jpg
20180614_164536.jpg

I gave my wife £200 and told her to go out on Monday and leave me in peace to watch the World Cup. "I won't need that much," she laughed. "You will," I said. "It's got to last you five weeks."

My nana used the word muggins quite a lot. My family originated from Cornwall.

I've certainly heard it fairly often and use it sometimes myself. Quite a common usage is when people use it about themselves - when they feel they have been duped into doing something by someone else. As in, "I suppose muggins here is going to have to do the washing up"

I've certainly heard it fairly often and use it sometimes myself. Quite a common usage is when people use it about themselves - when they feel they have been duped into doing something by someone else. As in, "I suppose muggins here is going to have to do the washing up"

My mother used "muggins" quite a bit if I remember correctly and she was 100% Yorkshire.

My grandmother used a word "do-ins" to signify a person whose name she couldn't remember. My kids thought it hilarious when she used to call me that when they visited (being hardly ever at home I'm surprised my kids didn't call me "do-ins").

My mother used "muggins" quite a bit if I remember correctly and she was 100% Yorkshire.

My grandmother used a word "do-ins" to signify a person whose name she couldn't remember. My kids thought it hilarious when she used to call me that when they visited (being hardly ever at home I'm surprised my kids didn't call me "do-ins").

My Dad used to use that but I always thought it was 'doings'. He was West country with a very broad accent.

Just looked it up - it is 'doings' - your gran probably dropped the g.

British and New Zealand informal
anything of which the name is not known, or euphemistically left unsaid, etc
have you got the doings for starting the car?
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/doings

Last edited:
I'm not really into talent shows per se but this made me smile.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom