What method to use to cook pizza.

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
9:20 AM
I sometimes make home made pizzas and did one for today's lunch. I use a pizza stone which I heat up in the oven first and then slide the assembled pizza on. This isn't easy! I was wondering how other people cook home-made pizzas. What do you cook it on and what temperature is the oven?

I also used to use a pizza stone until my daughter somehow accidentally let it fall down the stairs into the cellar and break into 3 pieces. It was a very expensive pizza stone from France and I have not forgiven her.:mad: I am now using a simple metal pizza tin from Ocado. I try to cook pizza at the highest oven heat for the shortest possible time - to (probably fruitlessly) emulate a wood fired oven. I cook mine for about 12 minutes at 230C.

A pizza stone or a metal pizza pan ..

I actually do my Focaccia on same ..

Nice post and have a lovely day ..

I use a pizza stone. As for the temperature, I would say it should be between 400 and 450 degrees. Your pizza is done when it's bubbling hot and the cheese is melted.

I have neither a pizza stone nor a pizza pan (although I am currently researching the availability of the latter).

I therefore need to compromise. I use a 250mm diameter tray (which actually came with our microwave) and cook one side of the pizza before adding the topping (5 minutes at 250 degC in the halogen oven). Allow to cool then remove from the oven, turn over and add the topping. Return to the oven and cook to my liking at 250 degC.

I usually do not precook any toppings unless it is bacon which does get a little frying first to assist in making it crispy.

halogen pizza s.jpg

Pepperoni and mushroom.​

Last edited:
I have neither a pizza stone nor a pizza pan (although I am currently researching the availability of the latter).

I therefore need to compromise. I use a 250mm diameter tray (which actually came with our microwave) and cook one side of the pizza before adding the topping (5 minutes at 250 degC in the halogen oven). Allow to cool then remove from the oven, turn over and add the topping. Return to the oven and cook to my liking at 250 degC.

I usually do not precook any toppings unless it is bacon which does get a little frying first to assist in making it crispy.

View attachment 10165

Pepperoni and mushroom.​

@Yorky

Looks fabulous ! I never pre cook pizza toppings .. I do not eat bacon, however, on occasion I like some Proscuitto on my pizza .. But norm is focaccia style with no sauce and mozzarella di buffala, fresh ripe red tomato and fresh basil ..

I use Zero Zero Bio Pizza flour ..

Have a marvelous day ..

Last edited:

View attachment 10165

Pepperoni and mushroom.​

It looks as if your halogen oven does a good job. I suppose you have to cook both sides because the heat source is on top?

Italian Flour Stone Milled Zero Zero:

Italian flour is graded by color and marked 00 (White) to 04 (Whole meal or whole wheat), however, Stone Milled 00 White is Beige and in Italy & it is the Focaccia and Pizza Flour most commonly used in Italy ..

The UK & USA flours are graded by color and the gluten content ..

Pizza flour and focaccia flour are " Stone Ground " in Italy:
1) color beige
2) Flatter and uneven texture profile
3) Higher nutrients and minerals

FRANCESCAPIZZAFLOURextravirgin-olive-oil-italian-grain-stone-ground-flour-flour-pizza.jpg

Last edited:
It looks as if your halogen oven does a good job. I suppose you have to cook both sides because the heat source is on top?

The heat source is on top yes, but it's fan assisted so the difference should not be significant. The problem appears to be the "tray" that I use. Research has led me to believe that if I obtain a perforated pizza pan it may solve the problem. Perforated pizza pans are not common around these parts and companies like Amazon refuse to deliver to Thailand.

I use a lightly oiled flat black baking sheet for my pizzas (never a light coloured one; they tend to bend slightly at higher temperatures). It's about 15" square. I usually use just plain strong white bread flour, and cook the whole thing at 220C/200 C fan/Gas Mark 7/425F for about 15 minutes. I never pre-cook any of the toppings or the base, although I have been known to blanch/wilt spinach when I use that.

I did make this a few weeks ago https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pizza-with-broad-beans-and-courgettes.10559/. The base is just plain flour and Greek yoghurt. This particular recipe is very light and does require the base to be cooked first. It makes a change from a traditional pizza base.

The heat source is on top yes, but it's fan assisted so the difference should not be significant. The problem appears to be the "tray" that I use. Research has led me to believe that if I obtain a perforated pizza pan it may solve the problem. Perforated pizza pans are not common around these parts and companies like Amazon refuse to deliver to Thailand.

Can you get those metal mesh trays they make for oven chips? That could work - they are very cheap. But I don't suppose you will be able to get them in Thailand either!
s-l225.jpg

Can you get those metal mesh trays they make for oven chips? That could work - they are very cheap. But I don't suppose you will be able to get them in Thailand either!

I've found this outlet in Bangkok but although the site appears to be in English, the registration and ordering pages are in Thai and according to my wife "nonsense Thai". I have emailed them but do not expect a response.

http://ntsmart.co.th/PD1134612-Product-kmw_ptwp09_pizza_trays.html

Bht 79.00 = just over thirty bob.

[Anything above 250mm diameter will not fit in the halogen.]

I have never seen those before.

I've never cooked oven chips either though.

Back
Top Bottom