What methods or equipment do you use to deep fry?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:28 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Mod. Edit: the following few posts are copied from another thread to start a new topic.

The deep fryer makes the task of frying so much easier. Most crucially, it maintains the temperature you want, rather than having to use a thermometer clipped to the pan to monitor it and lower or raise the heat as needed. Mine cost about $40, which is a bargain; this is the one I have (though I'd never crowd the basket like this, unless I want everything to stick together):

0040094352005_a1c1_0600.png

I do know people who swear by the oil-in-the-pan method. It certainly does work, but it does require monitoring the temperature as you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The deep fryer makes the task of frying so much easier. Most crucially, it maintains the temperature you want, rather than having to use a thermometer clipped to the pan to monitor it and lower or raise the heat as needed. Mine cost about $40, which is a bargain; this is the one I have (though I'd never crowd the basket like this, unless I want everything to stick together):

0040094352005_a1c1_0600.png

I do know people who swear by the oil-in-the-pan method. It certainly does work, but it does require monitoring the temperature as you go.
Presto Big Kitchen Kettle_.jpg

I think that pic of your deep fryer with all that chicken in it is just for show purposes. I don't think that anyone has ever cooked that much at one given time in one cooking cycle.

Mine is the one above. I've fried chicken in it and it came out golden brown, juicy &delicious!! :wink:

When I need a fried chicken fix I run to Popeye's or Raising Cain's. Both just down the road. :laugh: Not worth the mess for the two of us.

But doing it yourself is better. You control the seasonings, especially the salt content!

The thing is with fried chicken at places like KFC, Crown & others is that they use too much salt during the brining / seasoning process, and so, the meat is overly salted. I can't have all that salt like that. I don't eat it often or all the time, but I DO get a taste for some fried chicken now & then. :wink:

. Most crucially, it maintains the temperature you want, rather than having to use a thermometer clipped to the pan to monitor it and lower or raise the heat as needed.

You know, I've never used a thermometer! I use a stainless steel saucepan 1/4 or 1/3 filled with oil. I just guess or throw a breadcrumb in to see if it browns quickly. Not very scientific I know...

You know, I've never used a thermometer! I use a stainless steel saucepan 1/4 or 1/3 filled with oil. I just guess or throw a breadcrumb in to see if it browns quickly. Not very scientific I know...

You have enough instincts and knowledge about cooking that you can manage without checking the temperature. But, oil that's too hot will burn the outside without properly cooking the inside. Oil that's too cold will cause the coating on the food to soak up the oil rather than transforming it into a crispy coating.

I do sometimes use a pan for frying things that don't have much structural integrity. Once, I used the deep fryer for making fried oysters. They turned out to be delicious:

amXfe9I0TKqkZxVWewfQ_IMG_0585.jpg

But, there was such a colossal mess in the fry pot because the coating and the incredible moisture from the oysters fell into the oil. The darker (overcooked) bits you see are from the later parts of the fry, by which time the oil had turned into sludge. Almost anything else is better in the deep fryer, but not this.

As a matter of interest what do folks do with the oil that has to be discarded?
I sometimes do sometimes use a pan for frying things that don't have much structural integrity. Once, I used the deep fryer for making fried oysters. They turned out to be delicious:

But, there was such a colossal mess in the fry pot because the coating and the incredible moisture from the oysters fell into the oil. The darker (overcooked) bits you see are from the later parts of the fry, by which time the oil had turned into sludge. Almost anything else is better in the deep fryer, but not this.

I really ought to try this - I adore oysters but shy away from cooking them as they are so wonderful raw.

As a matter of interest what do folks do with the oil that has to be discarded?
Using the deep fryer means that you need to wait a long time - hours - to let the oil cool so you can dispose of it. Then, I have to decide if it's worth straining and reusing, which involves a cheesecloth and a funnel. Needless to say, the oil from the oysters was impossible to strain, but oil from fried potatoes almost certainly will be good for at least one more fry.

If you do decide to save the oil, know that it takes on the flavor of what was fried in it, which will be imparted on the next thing you fry. This is usually a good thing, but you might not want your french fries to taste like cod (though the reverse is quite good).

If I need to dispose of it, I need to fully let it cool so it doesn't melt the plastic container (pouring it back into the original jug).

By the way, I added to my reply above with a comment on hot oil vs cold oil.

Last edited:
This is my deep fat fryer

WP_20160324_10_17_20_Pro.jpg

I bought it just over a year ago, and it's ideal for one or two people. The thermostat works OK too - says she who forgot to unplug it one evening.....
P.S. I never buy anything from KFC, particularly as the mutt will not eat anything from there either. It always makes me very suspicious if a dog shows no interest whatsoever in food, and he will eat a McDonalds. One of my friends used to work in a KFC.....

What about the Acti-fry- the one where you use a thimble of oil and magically cook chips? Has anyone had experience of those? I'm probably off topic but its 'compare and contrast' :).

We get fried chicken from a local grocery store chain. Like Elizabeth, it's too much mess for the 2 of us, besides the fact that it's cheap enough that there is really no cost saving by doing it ourselves.

We do have a countertop deep fryer, but if it's a small amount, I'll just use a sauce pan. I don't use a thermometer because I'm so used to our stove that I know what settings to use.

You have enough instincts and knowledge about cooking that you can manage without checking the temperature. But, oil that's too hot will burn the outside without properly cooking the inside. Oil that's too cold will cause the coating on the food to soak up the oil rather than transforming it into a crispy coating.

I do sometimes use a pan for frying things that don't have much structural integrity. Once, I used the deep fryer for making fried oysters. They turned out to be delicious:

375 degrees should be the normal temp of the oil for deep frying chicken & most other foods. I take a pairing knife at times to check for doneness. The sure-fire way is when the juices run clear, not red. That would often indicate rawness in the middle.

Also, when the pieces of food float on the surface of the oil, that usually indicates that it's done. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom