What methods or equipment do you use to deep fry?

I've had a few deep fat fryers in the past, but got rid of them as I hardly used them and they took up too much space. On the very rare occasion I need to deep fry something I'll use oil in a pan - size and shape of which depends on the size and shape of what I'm frying. For things like schnitzels I also tend to only partially cook them in the oil - just until the coating is crispy, and then finish them off on a rack in a hot oven.

The Actifry is great for things like chips and fried potatoes - they come out almost as good as deep fried ones but with far less fat :okay: You can also use it for ready-made breaded/battered items (mushrooms, chicken, fish etc) if you take out the rotating paddle, but you can't use it for making those kind of things from scratch.

In terms of size it probably takes up as much space as a deep fat fryer, but its much easier and cleaner (no dirty fat hanging around) so I prefer it.

I'm still debating whether I can make space for the Actifry. Its that 'would I use it enough?' question. But thanks for the info.

OK. What cut of chicken would you normally use?

I don't fry chicken but when I eat Popeye's I like dark meat or wings. Raising Cain's is all about the breast tenders - not the entire breast - just the tenders.

Of all the fried chicken outlets KFC is my least favorite. I have not tried their chicken in years - maybe I should give it another bite.

There is a small Mom & Pop grocery store owned by a Vietnamese couple. They sell fried chicken that is to die for! Baby Sis calls it "Chicken from the Hood". Like my favorite butcher shop it borders a very sketchy neighborhood - gangs and drugs. No after dark stops.

@The Late Night Gourmet - I adore fried oysters. A challenge to make. They are so delicate that they can go from perfect to over done literally in seconds.

My little fryer measures 8.5" x 7.5" and takes a litre of oil. The base of my electric kettle is about the same, and it is smaller than my toaster.

Can we see a pic of it, please? I like fried whole clams.

I'm old school. I still like the flour coating for fried chicken. I also sometimes do oven-fried chicken, using Snake & Bake or cornflake crumbs. :wink:

This is my deep fat fryer

View attachment 13303

I bought it just over a year ago, and it's ideal for one or two people. The thermostat works OK too - says she who forgot to unplug it one evening.....
P.S. I never buy anything from KFC, particularly as the mutt will not eat anything from there either. It always makes me very suspicious if a dog shows no interest whatsoever in food, and he will eat a McDonalds. One of my friends used to work in a KFC.....

That looks so nice!! :wink:

See what y'all did/ You started a disease! Hah!! All this talk about deep frying has gotten me all tune up for some fried chicken!! Seasoned & Marinating some drumsticks now in the fridge. :wink:

Fried Chicken.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom