What new food or ingredient would you like to try for the first time in 2017?

I've not heard of some of those and certainly not tried any of them ... I'll make a note and if I get a chance, give them a go and report back. :happy:

If you like grass stuff, this is quite tasty as a salad accompaniment. We call it kaiware daikon (radish sprouts). Very pleasant but not an overpowering radish taste.

Kaiware.jpg

I'm not certain there is anything I know of that I want to try out this year. If I find something that is seasonal in the supermarket and it is new to me, I will buy it and try it. I'm like that. So far of what I can get, I have tried in this list (veggie and fruit that is of course). I keep finding the odd spice I haven't had and at Christmas we had pea sprouts for a change from bean sprouts. There have been loads of oriental greens in the supermarket that we have tried since coming to Australia.

Next time I go shopping I will have another look...
Just thought of something I did see that I have not tried though it was not in the supermarket but a farmers market in Canberra, it was yellow fleshed water melon. Perhaps next time I go there I will buy some and try it. Looking it up online, they are apparently a lot sweeter than the red variety.

yellow watermelon.png

However, I guess that is not very adventurous! Perhaps I will try plantain? I just realise I have not ever had any because it resembles a banana to me and I can't eat those.

These are very strange things.

carabao.jpg

It's called "carabao" in Thai as it's likened to a type of buffalo.

Actually my wife tells me carabao is just a nickname; it's actually called "krajup" - กระจับ (Tinghara Nut) which is actually Thai for a boxer's jockstrap. Once the skin is removed it tastes a little like sweet potato.

[Edit: the tinghara nut, not the jockstrap]

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this? It's called "long pepper" in English I understand (dee plee in Thai). Tastes like black pepper but with some chili type heat.

longpepperl.jpg

There is something a bit.... eyeballish about these.

I cannot say that they taste like eyeballs as I have not tasted eyeballs (at least in this life) - they are sweet and mangosteen-ish. Even though they are sweet I find them quite palatable.

[Edit - although I shall not get to sample any more of that kilogramme - she's eaten the bloody lot!]

Has anyone tried this? It's called "long pepper" in English I understand (dee plee in Thai). Tastes like black pepper but with some chili type heat.

longpepperl.jpg
I have some of that. I bought it in a deli in Hackney not knowing what it was. I have used it in stir-fry recipes with beef. It has a good kick.

Back
Top Bottom