What new food or ingredient would you like to try for the first time in 2017?

I'm not certain there is anything I know of that I want to try out this year. If I find something that is seasonal in the supermarket and it is new to me, I will buy it and try it. I'm like that. So far of what I can get, I have tried in this list (veggie and fruit that is of course). I keep finding the odd spice I haven't had and at Christmas we had pea sprouts for a change from bean sprouts. There have been loads of oriental greens in the supermarket that we have tried since coming to Australia.

Next time I go shopping I will have another look...
Just thought of something I did see that I have not tried though it was not in the supermarket but a farmers market in Canberra, it was yellow fleshed water melon. Perhaps next time I go there I will buy some and try it. Looking it up online, they are apparently a lot sweeter than the red variety.

View attachment 4974

However, I guess that is not very adventurous! Perhaps I will try plantain? I just realise I have not ever had any because it resembles a banana to me and I can't eat those.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn,

Good morning.

Plantains are called Plantanos Machos and are not really a fruit in profile. They are not sweet nor do they have the characteristics of a "banana".

They are prepared sautéed in Evoo or which ever frying oil you select.

And are salted and fried twice. Firstly, heat your oil of choice after you peel the thick Green skin of the plantain and slice in thick rounds. Sautéed until Golden and then sautée the other side. Then, press down on the thick rounds with a spoon and re fry them until tender .. Salt them .. Squeeze a bit of fresh lime on them .. I make them once in awhile ..

One either loves or detests ! They are a bit starchy ..

In Latin America, The Domincian Republic Cuba, and Puerto Rico, they are served with fish, and rice and / or roast porc and rice as a side.

@ChowDownBob @Yorky

I am always open to trying new fruits, flora, new veggies, new herbs, new spices, new cheeses and anything more or less that is an ocean inhabitant ..

I am particularly fascinated by Japanese and Thai cuisines as being Mediterranean and having travelled extensively through Spain, France, Italy and Greece, I am fairly knowledgeable about these cuisines, So, the epicurean exploration extends itself to the Pacific Rim and the Orient ..

Wonderful post.
Have a great day.

More strange stuff - these are nuts - apparently called sacha inchi (ดาวอินคา).

Sacha inchi s.jpg

It's advisable to wash your hands after touching the shells..

Sacha inchi 1.jpg

A friend brought this for us today (my wife actually - I don't touch the stuff) from his farm in Khow Pravi Haan.

durian s.jpg

Sorry about the image, I can't get the hang of the handphone.

I just didn't recognise it as I was reading the image as a small fruit.

Sorry, I should have given some indication of size - it's 225 mm long and weighs around 2.5 kg.

[And, I've just discovered that you do not pick it up by the body!]

A friend brought this for us today (my wife actually - I don't touch the stuff) from his farm in Khow Pravi Haan.

View attachment 8084

Sorry about the image, I can't get the hang of the handphone.

I brought home a durian a few months ago, and I'm glad that I hacked it open in the garage, not the kitchen. Whew- boy, that stank.

My wife smelled it from outside, in the driveway as she pulled up. She thought I spilled another jar of kimchee somewhere (never buy kimchee in breakable containers such as glass :stop: One little crack, the liquid runs out, and you smell it for weeks).

This fell out of a tree in the back a few days ago. I'm not tempted to make soup though.

bird's nest s.jpg

[I'll be glad when the replacement camera arrives!]

Back
Top Bottom