What oil do you use to fry an egg?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
7:39 PM
Are you the type who fries eggs without oil at all using some technology or a plain non-stick pan? I would still prefer to use oil when I fry my egg and sometimes would try butter to achieve that nutty flavor. Most of the time though I use olive oil and oregano in the morning. How about you?

I just use cooking oil to fry an egg in a frying pan. And I do rarely use a non stick pan only occasionally. I prefer using canola oil or grape seed oil to fry an egg.

Frytex(Trade name) or similar if not available.

I use a small amount of oil when frying an egg and it's often in a non stick frying pan. I mostly scramble them adding whatever pleases me at the time and I am good to go.

I do not have a non-stick pan, so I would usually fry my egg with some kind of oil, usually Soyabean oil or Canola oil. On occasion, when I want a little extra flavour in my egg, I would use cooking butter. When I use this, I put less salt in the egg since the butter would give it a salty flavour. Non-stick pans are good, though, since no oil or butter would be needed, and that would be healthier.

When I lived in Eritrea, I thought I'd amuse myself one afternoon by attempting to use the sun to fry an egg. It was a bit of a slow process, but we got there in the end. Admittedly, we had to throw the end result away, given that it was covered in dust and had attracted the attention of several insects, but it proved it can be done.

Note: this is unlikely to work in Fife or most other parts of the UK.

I usually use whatever oil is left over in the frying pan from last time it was used.

@Duck59 I was reading a newspaper article about cooking cookies in a car during a heatwave. It has been done and can quite easily be done with the temperatures the inside of a car get exposed to!

In the summer of '95, we managed to fry & boil eggs(having boiled the water first) on a hot galvanised roof.

Non stick pan with a little oil or if the egg is for a garnish as in veal Holstein I use butter and you lightly poach it in the butter

Note: this is unlikely to work in Fife or most other parts of the UK.
Perhaps it is just a matter of time - egg cooking Vs the approach of the next ice age :rolleyes:
As to the OP - just a drop of vegetable oil in any handy pan [but we both prefer a HEAVY pan if they are too light the egg just crisps and burns up]

When I fry an egg I usually use olive oil but on occasion that I don't happen to have olive oil
then I will use butter. I have cooked eggs in a non stick pan without oil or butter but I really
didn't care for it as much as when I add a bit of oil. It seems to cook better that way.

Our cooking oil is Canola. Nothing special, just a whim maybe. Our first cooking oil was vegetable oil. I'd say it's okay. But when the corn oil got cheaper in the market, we shifted to that in favor of the vegetable oil. Just a few years ago, Canola came out in the market and my sister, who is a nurse in a big government hospital, said that canola oil is good for me since I have a high cholesterol level. So that's the story of canola oil in our kitchen. I don't know that's the next oil we are going to use.

I used butter to fry the egg my grandson wanted for his sandwich. I don't eat eggs so that was my first time frying an egg, when I fix them for other people I usually scramble the egg.

I use a small amount of oil when frying an egg and it's often in a non stick frying pan. I mostly scramble them adding whatever pleases me at the time and I am good to go.

I just realised I did not really answer the question. 'I use a small amount of oil'.......My answer should have been I used whatever oil I can put my hands on at the time and it's either Olive oil or Canola oil. Then the other stuff I mentioned.

I use what's available in my country like canola or coconut oil. I usually cook my egg in stoneware pans. Sometimes I use butter just to give my egg a little kick. :)

Back
Top Bottom