What oil do you use to fry an egg?

I always use butter and cook the egg in a nonstick pan. I love the flavour butter gives to the fried egg.

I use a variety of fats when making eggs, depending on what mood I'm in and what type of egg dish I am making.

If I am making something Asian inspired, such as scrambling some eggs with scallions and tomato, I will stick with something light and neutral such as a Canola oil. Canola is actually my go to oil, over vegetable oil or even olive oil in most cases since it's not too thick in viscosity and imparts no flavor or odors.

For frying eggs, I either use cooking spray, or I fry them in butter in a really small pan just big enough for two eggs. I love how the butter browns a bit and browns the edges of the eggs.

For regular scrambled eggs, it's either butter or olive oil. This is one instance where I actually like a deeply flavored extra virgin, even though they say you shouldn't fry with it. It's not a big deal since I'm only cooking it at a medium heat, and I love the aroma. This is how my Italian grandmother used to make scrambled eggs for us, so it brings back good memories. I also like to sometimes cook scrambled eggs in a garlic infused olive oil as well.

I use oil too when I'm cooking eggs. Usually we prefer olive oil or canola oil. I haven't tried using butter yet, mainly we just use salt to taste. We do have a non stick pan but for some reason, we haven't used that for cooking eggs. I should though, one of these days. It might be healthier for us and especially my baby.

I also use just a small amount of oil. Just enough that the egg won't stick to the pan. My aunt is a notorious excessive oil and salt user though. She uses too much of both and so when she cooks eggs it's really salty and oily.:/

I usually use coconut oil to fry an egg and cook it using a normal pan.

I don't fry eggs very often...but when I make them,,,I usually use a cooking spray in the pan if that is not enough, I will use a bit of butter.

I had a house guest recently and she fried her eggs with butter and my son like it. Maybe I'll try butter sometime in the future. Ghee?

I had a house guest recently and she fried her eggs with butter and my son like it. Maybe I'll try butter sometime in the future. Ghee?
I always use butter. You have to be careful not to burn the butter, that's all. I've tried ghee (as result of this thread) but found it was a bit too 'tangy'.

I've never really heard of using oil to fry eggs. I guess I do learn something new every day. We always just used butter. I think it adds flavor as well as keeping the eggs from sticking. I don't eat fried eggs, but I fry them in butter for my family members.

@Bakemehappy When frying eggs, I like to use a non-stick frying pan or wok, with very little oil. I either use vegetable oil or oil spray (which you can make yourself). If you want to go a healthier route, then think about using coconut oil. If you are worried about added flavor of the oil to your eggs, then use grape oil. When using oils such as Olive Oil, one must take precaution. Olive oil heats up very quickly and can cause splatter easily.

@Bakemehappy When frying eggs, I like to use a non-stick frying pan or wok, with very little oil. I either use vegetable oil or oil spray (which you can make yourself). If you want to go a healthier route, then think about using coconut oil. If you are worried about added flavor of the oil to your eggs, then use grape oil. When using oils such as Olive Oil, one must take precaution. Olive oil heats up very quickly and can cause splatter easily.
Good idea to make your own oil spray! But if you use so little oil, how do you get the egg yolk 'filmed over' as it were. I mean, I baste eggs over the yolk with the butter or oil as I fry them. otherwise I end up with bits of non-cooked white and a yolk that isn't cooked properly. I don't mean I want a solid yolk (what would be the point?), but a nice runny cooked yolk.

Back
Top Bottom