What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 16100
I had been looking for buckwheat flour for a while, and finally managed to find some at a health food stall in the market, along with some assorted "exotic" mushrooms. The buckwheat flour was made into tagliatelle (80% buckwheat, 20% 00 flour plus water). The mushrooms were sauteed in butter along with garlic and a couple of anchovies. Griddled asparagus (it is in season here, so I'm making the most of it) was thrown in - all combined and topped off with lots of parmesan cheese.

Sounds delicious...

It was the weekly shop again, and because I was there, we got a few things extra.
Hubby only buys what's on the shopping list. It's really unusual for him to look through the shelves and find new produce. Occasionally though he does.

Yesterday a few of the finds I came home with.

After trying the sausages in their range (excellent and very moist) I decided to throw the casserole and nutmeat range into the tins cupboard. They could come in useful with me being simply too busy at the moment to cook.

_20180513_074207.JPG _20180513_074102.JPG

We were at the pet feeds store (think warehouse with everything to do with every animal/bird from cattle to mice). The local honey was $10 for a kilo so given I needed a kilo for one of the lemon preservation recipes I'm going to try, it was daft not to purchase it.

_20180513_073921.JPG

And the supermarket had the chickpea tempeh again.... Plus list week I found the gem on the right in a local IGA supermarket (equivalent of the Spar in the UK).

_20180513_074014.JPG

Finally the main supermarket had the odd jobs passionfruit in again where they work out at $0.65 per fruit and they are so very tasty. A far cry from the $2.49 each they are lose. And the fresh pasta was reduced, so I picked up 2 packets. We prefer this one because of its taste. I don't have time to make any at home at the moment

I scored a 2.8kg container of local honey for $25 last week. I was so happy. It's so much better than the supermarket stuff. Plus it's cheaper.

I also bought 2 huge wheels of cheese for the upcoming 18th we are hosting here.

This 'Bouquet Garni I found in a Polish shop today - it cost 99p (a bit more than a dollar).

fullsizeoutput_3436.jpeg

I didn't really know what I was buying aside from recognising the dill flower and garlic bulb. So here it is unwrapped:

fullsizeoutput_344a.jpeg

I worked out (by nibbling) that the white triangular shape is horseradish. But I still don't know what the leafy stuff is:

fullsizeoutput_3433.jpeg

Any ideas?

Marinated, thinly sliced pork butt for Korean bbq

A head of red leaf lettuce (Michigan Red)
Finely shredded scallions
Ssamjang soybean paste
Sweet pickled pearl onions
Japanese style seaweed salad
Kimch flavored dried squid strings
Octupus sashimi
Flying fish roe

All for Sunday dinner.

This 'Bouquet Garni I found in a Polish shop today - it cost 99p (a bit more than a dollar).

View attachment 16237

I didn't really know what I was buying aside from recognising the dill flower and garlic bulb. So here it is unwrapped:

View attachment 16239

I worked out (by nibbling) that the white triangular shape is horseradish. But I still don't know what the leafy stuff is:

View attachment 16238

Any ideas?

It looks like the leaves of young horseradish root.

And flowers of fennel.

Last edited:
It looks like the leaves of young horseradish root.
I think you may be right - I'm not sure what to do with them. I have the feeling that this combination of things must feature in a popular Polish dish - but I've no idea what.

The flower is probably fennel not dill but they are pretty much interchangeable.

I love White Borscht. My MIL used to make it every Easter. The first time, I had no idea what was being served. It was a soup that just sort of resembled dishwater. As I was about to taste it, my FIL stopped me and sliced an hard boiled egg and put it in my soup. I attempted to taste it again, but he stopped me and tore up a few pieces of rye bread and put it in my soup. A third try at tasting it, and he stopped me once more, slicing some kielbasi into the soup.
A minute later he asked me what was I waiting for, the soup is getting cold. lol.
It really is delicious, though. Not dishwater at all.

I love White Borscht. My MIL used to make it every Easter. The first time, I had no idea what was being served. It was a soup that just sort of resembled dishwater. As I was about to taste it, my FIL stopped me and sliced an hard boiled egg and put it in my soup. I attempted to taste it again, but he stopped me and tore up a few pieces of rye bread and put it in my soup. A third try at tasting it, and he stopped me once more, slicing some kielbasi into the soup.
A minute later he asked me what was I waiting for, the soup is getting cold. lol.
It really is delicious, though. Not dishwater at all.

I've got an egg at the ready and some Polish smoked sausage.... photo to follow when I've made it.

IMG_0262.JPG

Forerib of Hereford beef. Let's just say I'm under a little pressure not to get this wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom