What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot dogs, sauerkraut, hot dog rolls, chicken legs, baked beans, Nathan's crinkle cut fries, Caeser salad kit, and waterymelon.

It's pissin rain outside, but damn the weather. I'm grilling today. My son has a friend coming over to work on a Rube Goldberg project for their honors science class, so dogs, beans, fries, and salad for dinner.

Not today, but Tuesday - asparagus, courgettes, potatoes, onions, bunched carrots, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, milk, butter, eggs, and cat and dog food.

Today wife returned from the market with, amongst other items, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, holy basil leaves and yardlong beans for Saturday's cook-a-long. I'll capture an image tomorrow - the cost was Bht 15.00 (35 pence).

Jungle Curry.

I hope it's not as spicy as our curry last night, unless, of course, you really like spice! On that note, I got to use the fenugreek I bought several weeks ago in it. Wow is that stuff aromatic. I opened the bag and the fragrance just exploded in my face. Craig was across the room at the computer and I asked him if he wanted to smell it and he said maybe later. A few minutes later, he said I smell it now (without getting up). It's a very good smell BTW.

When we went grocery shopping Saturday, vanilla beans were on the list so I could make the souffle I want to try to recreate. Well, there was only 1 choice, $26 (on clearance mind you) for 2 dried up, stringy looking beans. I said forget that, we'll try elsewhere. Well, the 1 specialty market we went to didn't even have them. So, I looked on Amazon. Five beans that the reviews say are plump and fresh and loaded with seeds for $21. They are "out for delivery" on tracking so I can't wait. Won't make it tonight since we are doing grilled pizzas and they take up a good bit of time, but maybe tomorrow.

I hope it's not as spicy as our curry last night, unless, of course, you really like spice! On that note, I got to use the fenugreek I bought several weeks ago in it. Wow is that stuff aromatic. I opened the bag and the fragrance just exploded in my face. Craig was across the room at the computer and I asked him if he wanted to smell it and he said maybe later. A few minutes later, he said I smell it now (without getting up). It's a very good smell BTW.

Was this ground fenugreek? I tend to use whole seeds, dry roast and grind them. If you can get the whole seeds then grow some - you will get methi leaves which are a fabulous ingredient.

Not today but a few days ago in Saffron Walden market whist staying with my friend. Some fantastic herbs/greens - all this for £5 ($6.65). Clockwise from the top: Nasturtium, lovage, mizuna, tree spinach.

Lovage I've been looking for, for ages. Mizuna I've never tasted before. Tree spinach, I'd never heard of! I've yet to plant them in my garden.

fullsizeoutput_349a.jpeg

Five beans that the reviews say are plump and fresh and loaded with seeds for $21.

That still seems a little expensive compared to here - I can get one pod for £2.50 in the supermarket (or Amazon). So that would translate as $16.63 for five.

It is said that saffron is the most expensive spice but I reckon vanilla beans aren't far behind! I can understand why saffron is so dear - picking all those individual stamen. But vanilla beans are just dried whole pods. I wonder why they are so expensive?

Not today but a few days ago in Saffron Walden market whist staying with my friend. Some fantastic herbs/greens - all this for £5 ($6.65). Clockwise from the top: Nasturtium, lovage, mizuna, tree spinach.

Lovage I've been looking for, for ages. Mizuna I've never tasted before. Tree spinach, I'd never heard of! I've yet to plant them in my garden.

View attachment 16461
I used to grow nasturtiums in my garden. I was tempted to get some seeds and start growing them again, so long as I can keep them away from the mutt.

That still seems a little expensive compared to here - I can get one pod for £2.50 in the supermarket (or Amazon). So that would translate as $16.63 for five.

It is said that saffron is the most expensive spice but I reckon vanilla beans aren't far behind! I can understand why saffron is so dear - picking all those individual stamen. But vanilla beans are just dried whole pods. I wonder why they are so expensive?

Well, there were some that were around $14-15 for 5, but they were listed as grade B. The ones that were listed as grade A were $21 and up. It was also a Prime product, which means shipping costs are factored in.
Was this ground fenugreek? I tend to use whole seeds, dry roast and grind them. If you can get the whole seeds then grow some - you will get methi leaves which are a fabulous ingredient.

It was actually broken up dried leaves.

Have you looked at the deforestation of Madagascar? About 80% is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom