What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says methi seeds on the fenugreek packet. East End is the major brand here for Indian spices.

I never even noticed.

Digital zoom:

spices methi seeds.jpg

Last edited:
A nice plump free-range chicken. I need it to cook slowly in a brick for about four hours (I want to put it in the oven before we go out visiting relatives, and have it ready for when we get home), so will need to research cooking temperatures.

Just a loaf of rye and carroway sourdough. It will be cut up and join the items in the deep freeze to make life easier after my op. I doubt I'll want to cook or be able to immediately afterwards so a few goodies o in the freezer will be useful.

Predictive text has just changed goodies into bodies :eek:.

Bought thickened cream and yoghurt for a butter chicken recipe I'm trying, grinding my own cumin and coriander etc.
Chicken was from the freezer so minimal cost and spent today.

Russ

Yesterday from Saffron Walden market:

Bargain - 7 punnets of raspberries for £2 ($2.68) ($3.5 AUS).

fullsizeoutput_3554.jpeg

Some rather stringy looking asparagus that looks as if it was picked too young - £3 for 2 bunches.

fullsizeoutput_354d.jpeg

Gooseberries - £2

fullsizeoutput_3548.jpeg

Gooseberries - £2

We used to pick our own from somewhere in the Clyde Valley back in the mid 70s. I'm sure that we would have got far more than that for a few bob. The funny thing is, my income now (OAP), is not a lot more than my wage was then.

Man you take me back to,my childhood with those gooseberry pic. I remember in my mums garden eating gooseberries, especially the riper red ones. And mum stewing them and serving with custard. Thanks for showing that.

Russ

Bargain - 7 punnets of raspberries for £2 ($2.68) ($3.5 AUS).

View attachment 16674

Some rather stringy looking asparagus that looks as if it was picked too young - £3 for 2 bunches.

View attachment 16675

Gooseberries - £2

View attachment 16676

I went to Sydney yesterday. To an area called Canley Vale which is very near or actually part of the city of Cabramatta. An area known for Asian immigrants. These things are impossible to buy or very expensive by comparison where I live.

E393814A-E088-4D04-BD79-2193BF79665F.jpeg
E3B2F8F0-3FAC-4C51-86B4-C9268D892C64.jpeg

3kg pork chops
2kg fatty pork mince
2kg beef steak for the bbq
1.5kg osso bucco
1kg chicken wings - the first joint only

3 bundles bok choy (9 plants)
2 bunches coriander
1 ginger root
Dried shiitake
Fried shallots
Crispy prawn chilli
Bulgogi marinade for pork & chicken
Huge lemons
Hoi Sin Sauce
Fermented black beans

The new to me -
Crispy rice cakes with black sesame - they puff up in the microwave - I saw them on a cooking show a while back. Can’t wait to try them out.

I had change from $100. Just. Enough to buy a banh mi pork roll. The meat came to $58.20

While I was picking up bagels, cream cheese, whitefish salad, and mac salad from a deli this morning, I suddenly had a hankerin' for a Reuben.
So, 3/4 lb of pastrami, 1/2 lb of corned beef, 1 lb of Swiss cheese, and a lb of sauerkraut went home with me as well.

My son is graduating 8th grade tomorrow, so we're getting together with other families of football players for a late lunch at the country club. Hopefully the Ruebens will be Tuesday's dinner. I'll stop off and pick up fresh rye from the Polish bakery on the way home in the morning Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom