What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a huge bottle of oyster sauce last trip & rarely use kecap manis. I think there’s a bottle in the second pantry along with the Chinese black vinegar.

About 20 years ago I was away from Kuala Lumpur on business during Chinese New Year. My friend's wife was kind enough to save some black chicken for me and some Chinese wine (AKA "black vinegar").

I went to Sydney yesterday. To an area called Canley Vale which is very near or actually part of the city of Cabramatta. An area known for Asian immigrants. These things are impossible to buy or very expensive by comparison where I live.

Fantastic haul! So much good stuff there.

Crispy rice cakes with black sesame - they puff up in the microwave - I saw them on a cooking show a while back. Can’t wait to try them out.

I've not come across them - be good to see a photo when you cook them.

I like the sound of black chicken - what is in it?

My friend's wife is Chinese. Black chicken (as in totally black - skin, meat and bones) is a Chinese delicacy generally eaten on auspicious occasions. Not my cup of tea. The wine was even worse!

Chinese Black vinegar mixed with light soy to taste is the traditional dipping sauce for gyoza dumplings. They are the ones that are poached then fried crispy on the bottom. I add it sparingly but 50:50 is more common.

The black chickens are a rare breed bird. Very interesting.

I will certainly take pics when we have the crispy rice cakes. I’ve been hunting them since I saw them on tv.

Bacon chops for supper tonight.
IMG_0357.JPG

Marinating in olive oil, star anise, coriander seeds, sweet paprika, chilli powder and fresh thyme
IMG_0358-1.JPG

We went to the Asian market today. While waiting for my beef stock bones to be cut, I was looking in the freezer section. They had frozen black chickens for $12 each. They were small, maybe half again as big as a cornish hen. We didn't get one this time. Maybe we'll give 1 a try later after I look at how to cook them.

Besides the bones, we got chives with buds, sushi rice, nori, wasabi paste and tamari. Guess what's on our menu this week.

We also went to the restaurant supply place and got a big chunk of tuna for $12 a pound. We'll use that for the sushi and grill a couple of steaks for another meal, plus we'll end up freezing some as it's almost 3 pounds. We also picked up a 1/8 piece of a wheel of Parm R for well under $6 a pound.

Then we went to the butcher shop/grocery place. Besides usual stuff, we got boneless/skinless breasts for $1.49 a pound. They were on special last week for $1.69 pound, then again this week even cheaper. We got some this week as well since Craig is going to take some of the breasts and other meat items over to our daughter and granddaughters when he's over there (they live on Florida's other coast) next week for work. The son-in-law finally drove them to leave and our daughter to file for divorce because of the way he acts at the beginning of last month and hasn't paid a dime of child support yet. Of course he had only been contributing to the food costs sporadically before that so we had already been taking food over or sending our daughter money so she could buy food for her and the girls.

Last edited:
Bought some blue cod yesterday, I have some in my freezer but it's a frozen piece enough for 6 people. Just the 4 of us for dinner tonight, friends we've known for 30 years coming around. Blue cods expensive here $47 kg. The further south you get it the better it is. I'm doing garlic bread samosas, vegetable and mince, blue cod twice fried chips n salad. It's winter here but unusually 18 c here, we have been around 6 deg c. I beer batter the fish with lager beer.

Russ

I got me a nice looking seeded watermelon... it thumps nicely so i hoping it is good, i think it was about $6...i remember when i was a kid we would buy our melons at the veggie stand up on the highway, often no one was around so you'd tuck you $ for your purchases up by the counter and leave....i remember melons were $1, 2 or 3 depending on the size...this one would of been a $2 one, my tiles are about 18 inches so you can measure it.

3D03A373-56FE-4A4A-88C9-B98B3899717B.jpeg

And i while didn't buy these, i picked them from my tree... the photo is a little dark but they are mangos.

7670EBE4-0CD4-46A6-8CF8-34A7060886B1.jpeg

We went to the Asian market today. While waiting for my beef stock bones to be cut, I was looking in the freezer section. They had frozen black chickens for $12 each. They were small, maybe half again as big as a cornish hen. We didn't get one this time. Maybe we'll give 1 a try later after I look at how to cook them.
I think you can cook them like any other chicken - but I guess you might want to do something Asian inspired!

Bought some blue cod yesterday, I have some in my freezer but it's a frozen piece enough for 6 people. Just the 4 of us for dinner tonight, friends we've known for 30 years coming around. Blue cods expensive here $47 kg. The further south you get it the better it is. I'm doing garlic bread samosas, vegetable and mince, blue cod twice fried chips n salad. It's winter here but unusually 18 c here, we have been around 6 deg c. I beer batter the fish with lager beer.

Russ

Sounds great!

A few green cayenne peppers for the kohlapuri. This bunch was about 20 pence.

green cayennes 2 s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom