What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up Kale, Romaine lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and sourdough buns. I made a mixed greens salad. I'll be serving Chorizo/venison hamburgers.

I bought duck eggs!! Can't wait to see how they measure up to Yorky's.

I picked them up on Thursday, but they should be good for a bit. They are truly organic and free range as I got them from an Amish farm on a backroad on the way home from a relaxing few days in the country.

I also picked up a coupla big wedges of local Cheddar, as well as hot pepper Colby.

Pics to follow.

I picked them up on Thursday, but they should be good for a bit. They are truly organic and free range as I got them from an Amish farm on a backroad on the way home from a relaxing few days in the country.

I also picked up a coupla big wedges of local Cheddar, as well as hot pepper Colby.

Pics to follow.

In my experience they taste much richer than hen's eggs as well as being larger. Please post a pic when you cook them. I can get them from the supermarket here quite easily but don't often use them as I find them a little too rich for my taste.

I found quite a large one today so I only cooked one. The bowl is 90mm (3½") diameter.

2 s.jpg

6 s.jpg

The duck eggs I purchased are small compared to the usual chicken eggs we can get, but that could be subjective. I'll have to find a 90mm bowl.

The duck eggs I purchased are small compared to the usual chicken eggs we can get, but that could be subjective. I'll have to find a 90mm bowl.

Weigh it. The ones we buy are between 80 and 95 grammes.

[Edit: the bowl in the image is used, amongst other things, for depositing the egg into the poaching water.

3.jpg

Last edited:
Bread Fruit to go with my Jerk Chicken I am making, Cherry Tomatoes to go with the Ackee & Saltfish and blueberries and raspberries since they are have a great sale on them and may end up using them to make my own jams but that is a maybe.

View attachment 17823
Shoulder bacon - I've not come across this before. It tasted more like gammon - very nice, but quite tough.

Was it cured like a ham, or more like smokey, salty belly bacon?

That looks like what the Irish American folks (plastic Paddys like me) call Irish or English bacon. But it tastes somewhere between American and Canadian bacon.

Was it cured like a ham, or more like smokey, salty belly bacon?

That looks like what the Irish American folks (plastic Paddys like me) call Irish or English bacon. But it tastes somewhere between American and Canadian bacon.
Tut... The cultural appropriation! :) It was cured, just like regular streaky or back bacon, not smoked. As you would expect with shoulder it was slightly tougher and deeper in flavour, but still something you would eat with eggs for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom