What recipes don't translate well without knowledge of regional cooking?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by black6host, Mar 4, 2019.

1. black6host

black6host Member

@Lullabelle @Shermie

Want to play a game? Give me a recipe or food to try, that you think a USA southern boy wouldn't like. And, I'll give you one, if someone comes through here with a recipe, lol (see previous post). And we'll play dare you to eat it! I can already tell you haggis is off the menu here, lol. But, only because there is no one I know that can prepare it properly and I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I just don't know the regional influences that can't be expressed in a recipe but still show up in the finished product. Actually, that's a thread all by itself: "What recipes don't translate well without knowledge of regional cooking?" :)

CraigC and Lullabelle like this.
  2. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

Last year my husband made 'biscuits and gravy' using what we believe was a traditional recipe, not to our taste but definitely worth trying. It is hard to choose something from England because most of our traditional dishes are a mix from other countries, I will definitely give it some thought.

3. CraigC

CraigC Senior Member

I know you won't like this as I didn't like it! Huitlacoche (corn smut) Quesadilla.

http://whatscookingmexico.com/2010/10/29/huitlacoche-quesadillas/

Huitlacoche can be ordered online.

black6host likes this.
  4. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

We bought frozen from oregonmushrooms.com when we also ordered several other things. The rest of it sat in the deep freeze for months before we finally decided that we weren't going to be able to talk ourselves into using it again and threw it away.

5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I've always wanted to try it! What is so horrible about it?

For those that don't know:

5115234976_acd237247c.jpg

6. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

Honestly, it's been so long I don't remember, maybe Craig will. However, the comparison to truffles some people make by calling it the Mexican truffle, just no way in that really hot place is there any comparison.

7. morning glory

Managed to find some on-line (in a jar) so I'll report back when I've received them.

8. black6host

black6host Member

9. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Casu marzu?
    Black pudding?
    White pudding?

black6host likes this.
  10. black6host

black6host Member

I'm not so sure I like this thread anymore :)

morning glory and Herbie like this.
  11. morning glory

:laugh: