What type of cookware do you have?

I would love a Lodge dutch oven. One with a flat, lipped lid so you can put coals on top.

I need to sand and reseason all of my cast iron skillets, fajita pan, and my carbon steel wok. Since we've moved, all of them have gotten a little rusty from lack of use plus a few boxes got a little wet as I hauled them in an open bed pickup truck.

How does everyone season their cookware?

I've always used vegetable shortening, wiping it on and then placing the item in a hot oven until it bakes on.

The wok is a bit trickier. I usually do that over a high output gas burner, moving the wok around to heat each quadrant (what's the word for a tringular slice of a half sphere? The math is easy, but the name escapes me).
Bacon grease and be sure and sand outside not indoors.

What I've discovered over the years after owning a bunch of different cast iron pans is that some season better than others...I've tried many different techniques..low heat for a long time, high heat for a long time, oil, animal fat, you name it...I have one that sticks quite a bit, but I like it that way. It is great for certain things because it creates a good fond or crispy bottom. I just use my paint scraper and get in there real good to scrape the bottom off. I use it for home fries. the one I just posted a photo of is very good for just about anything. It is much thinner and lighter than the others and seems to be less porous. Nothing will stick to it...It is also good for high heat cooking, like steak, because it will heat very hot, very quickly....

MOD EDIT: hyperlink has been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atheist here.
There isn't much you can do with cast iron that you can't do with anything else. All of mine has been purchased used from yard sales and second hand shops... what I like about it is that it will take a beating. It will never wear out... It isn't good for everything..

Orange Imusa Pots..jpg

Got these pots in my luscious
orange! Hah!! :wink:

Last edited:
I find cast iron pots too heavy/not easy to lift (and that's just trying them out in shops i.e. without food in them!) Maybe it's my age and/or having small, thin wrists.

There isn't much you can do with cast iron that you can't do with anything else. All of mine has been purchased used from yard sales and second hand shops... what I like about it is that it will take a beating. It will never wear out... It isn't good for everything..
I use a cast iron frying pan when I stay with my friend - in fact here is a photo of a dish I cooked in it recently:

IMGP1766.jpg

I do quite like using it as it heats up to very high temperatures and maintains heat after taking it off the hob.

Obsessive cook as I am I have no cast iron so no need to season. Am I missing out?
When I bought my stainless steel pans, the leaflet said to season them with oil. I think they might need doing again, especially the frying pan because things stick to it occasionally. I have seasoned my little thick-bottomed frying pan twice since I got it because I've had to wash it. Normally I just wipe it after use.

Y'all just need to light coat them with oil and place in a 350-degree oven for about 1 - 2 hours upside down on a paper bag in a cookie sheet big enough to catch any oil. Do this at least twice a week.

Or just use the skillet to fry things often. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom