What type of cookware do you have?

Yes, you (have time to) season your pans twice a week when they're not in use?

Y'all just need to light coat them with oil and place in a 350-degree oven for about 1 - 2 hours upside down on a paper bag in a cookie sheet big enough to catch any oil. Do this at least twice a week.

Or just use the skillet to fry things often. :wink:
I like the word 'just' need to ... ha! Sounds like a hassle to me. When it is upside down do you have to stand on your head for 1 - 2 hours also!? :giggle:

Actually I have a stainless steel frying pan and what I do (to help make it non stick) is this. I heat the cleaned, dry pan and, when it is hot, I pour in some oil. When this heats up I turn the heat off and leave it to cool. So this is done a while before using it i.e. for later. I find this works!

My cast iron pans live in the oven*, get oiled after they're washed and popped back in. They also get washed, after everything else, in the same water. it doesn't seem to affect the seasoning, One pan, that tends to be used for savoury pie and pudding fillings, also has another pan sitting inside it and the abrasion seemed to be causing a problem so I put some vegetable oil in it & made it smoke!, cooled it, repeated, put it back in the oven for a week. That results in a sticky deposit, so I've put it on a gas again now.

*unless the boss needs more room in the oven.

My cast iron pans live in the oven*, get oiled after they're washed and popped back in. They also get washed, after everything else, in the same water. it doesn't seem to affect the seasoning, One pan, that tends to be used for savoury pie and pudding fillings, also has another pan sitting inside it and the abrasion seemed to be causing a problem so I put some vegetable oil in it & made it smoke!, cooled it, repeated, put it back in the oven for a week. That results in a sticky deposit, so I've put it on a gas again now.

*unless the boss needs more room in the oven.

You are obviously a 'seasoned' user of cast iron pans :laugh:. Please forgive the pun. But isn't it a problem keeping them in the oven? I mean, what do you do if you are cooking things in the oven aren't cooked in cast iron; a roast perhaps?

You are obviously a 'seasoned' user of cast iron pans :laugh:. Please forgive the pun. But isn't it a problem keeping them in the oven? I mean, what do you do if you are cooking things in the oven aren't cooked in cast iron; a roast perhaps?
You take the cast iron out of the oven and sit it somewhere temporarily. Preferably before you turn on the oven. Sometimes I just set it on the stove or on my rolling cart.

They just sit in the bottom of the oven, boss allowing of course. (hence they are stacked inside each other.)

You take the cast iron out of the oven and sit it somewhere temporarily. Preferably before you turn on the oven. Sometimes I just set it on the stove or on my rolling cart.

Yes, they can get pretty hot.

They just sit in the bottom of the oven, boss allowing of course. (hence they are stacked inside each other.)
So when they are not sitting in the bottom of the oven, what kinds of things do you cook in them? I'm partly asking out of curiosity but also because we love to hear what folks are cooking. :)

If they are in the oven too long, and the oven is set too high, then the "seasoning" could burn off, exposing the bare cast iron, inviting rust, and the seasoning is gone!

You'd have to start all over again with the seasoning process, ,but you'd have to scrub or scour off all the rust first! :headshake::stop:

Last edited:
So when they are not sitting in the bottom of the oven, what kinds of things do you cook in them? I'm partly asking out of curiosity but also because we love to hear what folks are cooking. :)

Small one, generally I use for scrambled egg, next two sizes I use for filling for my savoury pies/puddings and lasagne sauce and I have a square grill pan. I found scrambled egg quite different in a thin metal pan when I was away.

If they are in the oven too long, and the oven is set too high, then the "seasoning" could burn off, exposing the bare cast iron, inviting rust, and the seasoning is gone!

You'd have to start all over again with the seasoning process, ,ut you'd have to scrub or scour off all the rust first! :headshake::stop:

I haven't noticed a problem in that direction, abrasion has been more of a problem. But I try to oil them before they get put back anyway.

Small one, generally I use for scrambled egg, next two sizes I use for filling for my savoury pies/puddings and lasagne sauce and I have a square grill pan. I found scrambled egg quite different in a thin metal pan when I was away.
I do use a small cast iron pan for scrambled egg when I stay with my friend. I'm not sure it makes that much difference but then, I use good quality thick non-stick pan normally. Savoury pies and puddings! :hungry: Please post recipes or join in What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)? I just love pies and puds although I can't afford to eat them too often!

I made some suet pastry today, it's in the fridge. I'll make 5/6 puddings but I'm not sure what's going in them. There's some beef mince in the freezer, might end up with beef, onion & mushrooms. I work on the basis of what's available.

I made some suet pastry today, it's in the fridge. I'll make 5/6 puddings but I'm not sure what's going in them. There's some beef mince in the freezer, might end up with beef, onion & mushrooms. I work on the basis of what's available.

Sounds great! I do the same! i make pies quite a lot. I love steak pies in particular.

Back
Top Bottom