What type of onions do you use?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:28 PM
I noticed in the Shallots thread that some people said the onions they normally use were red onions. This was something Rick Stein (UK chef) remarked on during his TV series: Rick Stein's India (that nearly all onions used in cooking in India seemed to be red onions).

In the UK I think that most people use white or brown onions when using onions in everyday cooking. Indeed, I don't seem to remember seeing red onions on sale here when I was a kid. Now they are in all supermarkets and perhaps more people are using them. They tend to be more expensive than the basic brown skinned type (but not always).

I usually use the brown skinned sort for cooking and the red ones are reserved for using raw or in quick pickles. I also sometimes use the rather beautiful but more expensive sweet white skinned onions. What type do you use and why? Are there many varieties on sale where you are?

It all depends on the dish being made. Our normal "go to" are sweet onions, especially Vidalia onions when in season. Many claim that you can eat Vidalias like an apple being as sweet as they are. For one pot dishes like pot roast, braised short ribs or Bourguignon, I like to use fresh pearls, boiling or cipollini. Although white onions are usually called for in salsas, I tend to use sweets or red. Leeks and ramps are good in soups. Can't do Cajun and Asian without green onions (spring onions). Chives and garlic chives are often used as a condiment.

I'm not sure what onion is used for that Spanish, open fire roasting where I think they wrap them in news paper for roasting. When done, they peel the outer layer off, dip them in Romesco sauce and eat them straight up. They drink wine with them, from those pitchers with the spout, that they stream into their mouths. I haven't decided whether it is about the onions or drinking wine!:ohmy::roflmao:

Last edited:
Types of onions are different across the world and some which are the same go by different names - so it can get confusing! I'll do a bit of research and post some images later...

Onions and garlic are a staple in my kitchen. I use yellow (brown) onions for most things. Like @CraigC pearl onions are beautiful in a stew or braised meat dish. I have green onions (scallions) growing in my garden box. When I plant my spring plants I will move them to a large pot. Red (purple) onions in a salad or on a sandwich. I used sweet onions when I made candied onion Dim Sum. My first choice would have been Vidalia onions but they were not available. I used to have a large pot of garlic chives. I had them growing year round for at least 15 years. IDK what happened but they finally died - I guess old age. If you took away my onions and garlic I would not know how to cook. :eek:

I always have red onions on hand, and I routinely use them for recipes where white or yellow (brown) onions are specified. I like the flavor, and they usually add color to recipes (like salsa) where the yellow or white onion tends to disappear. I frequently pickle onions, and they're usually red onions. Finally, for the occasional raw use of onions, I use red onions when I make ceviche.

Typical prices at Kroger are 99 cents/pound for yellow onions and $1.19 for white or red onions. I could probably get along just fine with the cheaper yellow onions, but the extra color that the red ones add is worth the few extra pennies to me.

The only time I recall using pearl onions is when I made Sous Vide Beef Brisket Bourguignon for the Cook-along. Speaking of which, I'll have to give this one another try (so many different dishes, so little time!)

I usually use brown skinned ones for cooking and in salads and sandwiches. I also use red ones for cooking, especially if it is a dish where the liquid needs a bit of colour (it usually looks like a thin gravy colour-wise but depends what herbs and spices are used with it), and spring onions when they are in season in salads and also some international dishes (especially Chinese).

I forgot about green onions, even though I always have them on hand, too. Maybe it's because the applications are usually so different: bulb onions are usually diced and integrated into the dish, while green onions are usually sliced and retain their form, often as a finisher. The only exception has been I used the white part of the green onion, though that's normally not planned (i.e., I might add it to a dish I'm already making to partly replace shallots or bulb onions).

If I'm ever in Spain..I want to buy an onion ..in Cebolla ...as a souvenir :wink:
...or maybe NM, USA? :)

Oh, I remember Spanish onions from many years ago. I used to eat them like I eat apples!

Onions here?

We have medium to large white onions (brown skin), smallish red onions (about 60 mm dia) and shallots. Occasionally small white/pink onions (about 15 - 25 mm diameter) are available which are excellent for pickling!

bite back pickled onions s.jpg

Our red onions (when available):

red onon cut s.jpg

Cut for kebabs.

Another vote for "it depends on the dish".

We mostly use Vidalias (D.O.P., lol) or sweet onions, then yellow or white after that. Red seem to be used only in specific recipes.

Oh, and I LOVE pearl onions in cream sauce. I can eat that with some crusty bread and a sweet wine as a meal.

Another vote for "it depends on the dish".

We mostly use Vidalias (D.O.P., lol) or sweet onions, then yellow or white after that. Red seem to be used only in specific recipes.

Oh, and I LOVE pearl onions in cream sauce. I can eat that with some crusty bread and a sweet wine as a meal.

Ah, pearl onion cream soup! Got to love quick pickled red onions for tacos and avocado salad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom