What type of Wok do you use ?

Fast forward to a month or two ago. We were poking around a kitchen goodies shop and I spied a carbon steel wok! Not exactly like my old one, but the real carbon steel. I've been waiting to get a big enough block of time to scrub all the protective lacquer off, then spend a half-hour stirring scallions and ginger around in oil to season it. This cooler weather actually might be the right time

So does that mean you have no longer got a glass top stove?

I confess I've never bothered with all that 'seasoning of the wok' although I know that is the authentic way. In the past I've used non-stick which does the job. To really use a wok properly I think you need a 'wok ring' on a gas stove.

To really use a wok properly I think you need a 'wok ring' on a gas stove.

We have one of those but only a little one which we use for the smaller diameter pans (top left ring). The normal six finger spread on the larger ring (bottom left) is adequate to give stability to even our 15" diameter wok.

gas hob s.jpg

So does that mean you have no longer got a glass top stove?...
My old wok had the round bottom, but this one is flat, about 7 inches across, on its bottom. Mom gifted me with the wok when we were newlyweds and our apartment had a gas stove. Apartment Two and all of our houses have had electric stoves. However, until we had to get a stove in a hurry about ten years ago, both of the electric stoves had coils, so the ring and wok fit fine. I had to get a flat-bottomed one for the glass top - a cooking surface I despise. My next stove will be gas, if we move back to Ohio where it is common, or a solid-burner (maybe) if I end up having to replace this one.

I've never had a wok. Although I do like a stir fry, my big frying pan is sufficient for me. Mind you, if I did get a wok, I've seen a nice stainless steel one with a lid that is dishwasher- and oven-safe, as well as suitable for a ceramic hob, and it would fit nicely in my oven. None of my stainless steel pans are suitable to put in the oven as the handles are coated with something else and would probably burn. The only other pans I can put in the oven are enamel and not suitable for some types of food. So, if I did get it, this particular wok would be dual-purpose, which would suit me down to the ground. My birthday's coming up, so perhaps I should hint to my daughter :wink:

All of my woks have handles that are unsuitable for putting in the oven and I cannot think of a situation where I would have need to do so.

We call these electric stoves: " Vitro Ceramic " .. They have a black Vitro Ceramic stove top and are push button more or less for heating controls ..

It is not as common in Spain, due to a couple factors.

The Natural gas, is much more reasonably priced than Spanish Electricity which is extremely costly ..

And the other reason, I have come into contact with is: The food does not have the same qualities or profile as when prepared on Gas Stove top ..

However, it is definitely much easier to clean up ..

In Cadaquès, we all have Vitro Ceramic as we are in a Protected Bio-sphere Reserve Area ( National Parks ). And to prevent forest fires, all apartments are with Vitro Ceramic now ..

My parents, my sons & daughter in laws have become accustomed to it all ..

I have Natural Gas as my stove is not even 3 years old .. So, perhaps the next one will be Vitro Ceramic .. However, I do prefer the Natural gas ..

We call these electric stoves: " Vitro Ceramic " .. They have a black Vitro Ceramic stove top and are push button more or less for heating controls ..

It is not as common in Spain, due to a couple factors.

The Natural gas, is much more reasonably priced than Spanish Electricity which is extremely costly ..

And the other reason, I have come into contact with is: The food does not have the same qualities or profile as when prepared on Gas Stove top ..

However, it is definitely much easier to clean up ..

In Cadaquès, we all have Vitro Ceramic as we are in a Protected Bio-sphere Reserve Area ( National Parks ). And to prevent forest fires, all apartments are with Vitro Ceramic now ..

My parents, my sons & daughter in laws have become accustomed to it all ..

I have Natural Gas as my stove is not even 3 years old .. So, perhaps the next one will be Vitro Ceramic .. However, I do prefer the Natural gas ..
I don't know about everywhere, but here there is no common in houses. Most apartments are all electric. They say it cuts down on fires. Now some housing developments are all electric. Note: these are not cheap houses but they are cheaply built. The reason for all electric is so the builder isn't out the expense of running gas lines.

I don't know about Bangkok or other large cities but domestic gas pipelines are unheard of here in the sticks. All consumer gas here is bottled and virtually every house uses gas for cooking (we have little need for heating) except in the outlying villages where they may use charcoal.

I don't know about everywhere, but here there is no common in houses. Most apartments are all electric. They say it cuts down on fires. Now some housing developments are all electric. Note: these are not cheap houses but they are cheaply built. The reason for all electric is so the builder isn't out the expense of running gas lines.

@Cinisajoy

Yes, Vitro Ceramic refers to the top material that one cooks on, that an electric stove has. It is the black glass Vitro Ceramic material ..

It is a legal law in regions where there are forests, National Parks, Bio Spheric Protected Sanctuaries for wildlife etcetra ..

However, in Barcelona, it is up to the landlord or the owners of the apartments ..

Well, as I stated above, in Spain, Natural Gas is much much cheaper than electricity ..

Oh for sure the electric stoves are a safer way to go and yes, I agree they do prevent fires ..

Have a nice day ..

@Cinisajoy

Yes, Vitro Ceramic refers to the top material that one cooks on, that an electric stove has. It is the black glass Vitro Ceramic material ..

It is a legal law in regions where there are forests, National Parks, Bio Spheric Protected Sanctuaries for wildlife etcetra ..

However, in Barcelona, it is up to the landlord or the owners of the apartments ..

Well, as I stated above, in Spain, Natural Gas is much much cheaper than electricity ..

Oh for sure the electric stoves are a safer way to go and yes, I agree they do prevent fires ..

Have a nice day ..
I might could argue that the stove itself doesn't prevent many fires because at least with a gas stove when you turn the fire out, the heat source is done. The coil type electric stoves (cheap ones commonly found in apartments) stay hot for a bit. For ceramic/glass top stoves here, you will pay a pretty penny.
The newer gas stoves don't have pilot lights, just electronic igniters. I love that fact because it means I can use the stove top as a counter when we do our every 6 months to a year major shopping trip.

@Cinisajoy,

It is quite obvious that the stove itself does not cause fires.

However, the flames or the electricity or even malfunctiong gas could cause fires ..

One must be extremely careful as well as hoping neighbors are as careful ( apartment living ) !

Have a nice day ..

@Cinisajoy,

It is quite obvious that the stove itself does not cause fires.

However, the flames or the electricity or even malfunctiong gas could cause fires ..

One must be extremely careful as well as hoping neighbors are as careful ( apartment living ) !

Have a nice day ..
Malfunctioning gas is the biggest reason for no gas in newer apartments.

Back
Top Bottom