What was the first alcoholic drink you had?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:43 AM
I know some here may not have ever drank alcohol, but for those who have or do, what was your first alcoholic drink? I mean the first proper drink (not a sip of Daddy's beer).

The first drink I ever had was age 15 and it was VP Sherry. That was because it was cheap, I think and a gang of us used to go the the local park and swig it out of the bottle (quite disgusting, it was!). The first drink I had legally was 'rum and black': rum with blackcurrant cordial. My boyfriend took me to a nightclub and because I didn't know what to order he suggested it because it was what his last girlfriend drank. It was ghastly.

My parents used to give me glasses of home made elderberry wine when I was 10 years old. Unbeknown to me, the glass I was given was some form of Ribena.

I think my first beer was when I was around 16 plus. However, I've made up for lost time since.

1st drink I don't know what is was. An older cousin had just turned 18 and decided I was old enough to drink with her. I was 10.
First drink in a bar was Jack Daniels and coke. I was 13 and my mom bought it for me so it was legal for me to drink.
I don't remember what the first drink was when I was legal the first time or the second time.
I was 19 the first time (drinking age then), when I was 20 they raised the drinking age to 21.

Now the first time I ever bought beer in a store I was 16. I wasn't carded and it wasn't for me. My father drove around until he found a store with a male clerk. Then sent me in to buy the beer.

Anyway, there you have it.

My first alcoholic drink waz a screwdriver (vodka & orange juice), I waz 11 or 12 years old and it waz on New Years eve. They gave me one of those because you couldn't taste the alcohol. :cheers:

When I waz legal, my fave drinks at the time were Kamikazes and Tom Collins. I also loved Smirnoff Ice coolers, now I can't stand them :p:

Sweet cider it was a family tradition at Christmas and my boys had lower alcohol cider and pimms for there early teen years

My first alcoholic drink waz a screwdriver (vodka & orange juice), I waz 11 or 12 years old and it waz on New Years eve. They gave me one of those because you couldn't taste the alcohol. :cheers:

When I waz legal, my fave drinks at the time were Kamikazes and Tom Collins. I also loved Smirnoff Ice coolers, now I can't stand them :p:
I preferred Seagram's black raspberry wine coolers. Now I think they would make me sick.

I preferred Seagram's black raspberry wine coolers. Now I think they would make me sick.
Yea I remember those too, they were good, but I pretty much can't stand any coolers anymore. Maybe it's an adult thing or the fact that they are loaded with sugar and I had my fill of coolers when I waz younger. :yuck:

Yea I remember those too, they were good, but I pretty much can't stand any coolers anymore. Maybe it's an adult thing or the fact that they are loaded with sugar and I had my fill of coolers when I waz younger. :yuck:
Maybe it is we have gotten a bit smarter.
Now the sweetest drink I ever had was called an orgasm. It was in a shot glass.
Out drinking with my mom. She thought the guy trying to get me drunk was great for me.
Too bad the guy turned into an octopus. Found out later, he had other flaws too.
Luckily mom met a guy that immediately claimed me as his daughter and told the rich octopus, he couldn't date me. I was very grateful. Oh and the guy that claimed me did eventually marry my mom.

The first drink was as soon as I was old enough to crawl. My real fathers approach to child care was that it (and the drugs he smoked) made me docile, sleepy and ready to look after...

Otherwise, watered down red wine at Sunday lunch with a very religious (Methodist) Grandma.
The home-made unbottled raspberry and blackberry wine/closer to sherry in the cellar of the house we lived in as a teenager was also frequently drunk by myself and a friend. Years later I found out my brother and his friend preferred the unbottled orange and something that was also there. We both kept small drinks glasses pilfered from the kitchen in the cellar for easy consumption.
Egg-nog stuff (advocat?) at new year was permitted by all the family friends to all the children attending said parties.

But I have up drinking when I started to learn to drive on my 17th birthday when I looked at my family and realised I was turning into them. My mum, real father and now ex-step father were all functioning alcoholics without ever accepting it. my mother still drinks but not as much because her 3rd husband is T-total.

First legal drink, I honestly have no idea. If i to my baby sister (I would have been 14) with me shopping, I could buy what I wanted in the local supermarkets. At home, both parents being lawyers, neither really bothered. Drinking under-age in your family home isn't illegal, so provided we didn't get anything more than slightly drunk, neither parent cared.

Legally purchased first drink I have no idea, but I'm rather infamous for my consumption of 3/4s of a bottle of Isle of Jura back in my late teens and having to take the next 2 days off work and even by the 3rd it was questionable if I should have been there :whistling:

The first drink was as soon as I was old enough to crawl. My real fathers approach to child care was that it (and the drugs he smoked) made me docile, sleepy and ready to look after...

Otherwise, watered down red wine at Sunday lunch with a very religious (Methodist) Grandma.
The home-made unbottled raspberry and blackberry wine/closer to sherry in the cellar of the house we lived in as a teenager was also frequently drunk by myself and a friend. Years later I found out my brother and his friend preferred the unbottled orange and something that was also there. We both kept small drinks glasses pilfered from the kitchen in the cellar for easy consumption.
Egg-nog stuff (advocat?) at new year was permitted by all the family friends to all the children attending said parties.

But I have up drinking when I started to learn to drive on my 17th birthday when I looked at my family and realised I was turning into them. My mum, real father and now ex-step father were all functioning alcoholics without ever accepting it. my mother still drinks but not as much because her 3rd husband is T-total.

First legal drink, I honestly have no idea. If i to my baby sister (I would have been 14) with me shopping, I could buy what I wanted in the local supermarkets. At home, both parents being lawyers, neither really bothered. Drinking under-age in your family home isn't illegal, so provided we didn't get anything more than slightly drunk, neither parent cared.

Legally purchased first drink I have no idea, but I'm rather infamous for my consumption of 3/4s of a bottle of Isle of Jura back in my late teens and having to take the next 2 days off work and even by the 3rd it was questionable if I should have been there :whistling:
Just googled that. You are lucky to be here.
My father only got upset with me one time for drinking. I wasn't even living with him.
A dear friend figured I had way too much to drink one night and decided for my safety she would take me to her house. I was living with 3 guys. Platonicly. I was 17.
Turns out her grandfather knew my father very well. My dad had been lying to everyone about where I was. He got threatened with explusion from a private club if he didn't make sure I was ok and live up to his responsibilities.
Long as I didn't make my dad look bad, I could do whatever I wanted.

Just googled that. You are lucky to be here.
My father only got upset with me one time for drinking. I wasn't even living with him.
A dear friend figured I had way too much to drink one night and decided for my safety she would take me to her house. I was living with 3 guys. Platonicly. I was 17.
Turns out her grandfather knew my father very well. My dad had been lying to everyone about where I was. He got threatened with explusion from a private club if he didn't make sure I was ok and live up to his responsibilities.
Long as I didn't make my dad look bad, I could do whatever I wanted.
The ironic (maybe not the best word?) thing was that my mother and her female friends were all trained midwives and knew better! (my mother retrained later on in life). I suspect that my early years especially the very early ones and in the womb explain a lot about my health. This came from a dear friend of the family who saw it first hand and was corroborated by my grandfather later on. It was also one of the reasons, that and his violence plus one particular incident that was the last straw, that I loved with my grandparents and hence learnt coming from her rather than my mother.

"Mountain Dew/Holy Water", in the West of Ireland.

One or two recipes posted might give an idea to the first one bought.

One of the first made has been posted.

My grandfather brought some whiskey into the hospital to bless the child when I was born but I suspect that was just a drop. After that it would be the medicinal hot toddys that I would have when I couldn't sleep, or had a cold. I remember going wine tasting as a child of about 8 in France, and being allowed cider with Sunday lunch when I was about 10. I started drinking at parties etc when I was about 15 maybe.

My children have had a lot less alcohol growing up than me but they have had the occasional glass of bubbly at special occasions.

I do have one occasion when it was a strike day at school but our year had to go in because of exams looming so I'm guessing 5th year or Lower 6th (16 ish), and we weren't impressed. So at lunch we bought a bottle of whiskey and I had the least, and was able to almost carry it off in school, my mate was clearly drunk, and the boy that was involved was paralytic! The two of them were sent home and parents involved, and somehow I got away with just a telling off in the heads office!

Back
Top Bottom