What was the first alcoholic drink you had?

I do have one occasion when it was a strike day at school but our year had to go in because of exams looming so I'm guessing 5th year or Lower 6th (16 ish), and we weren't impressed. So at lunch we bought a bottle of whiskey and I had the least, and was able to almost carry it off in school, my mate was clearly drunk, and the boy that was involved was paralytic! The two of them were sent home and parents involved, and somehow I got away with just a telling off in the heads office!
:laugh:

Stones Ginger Wine, aged about 6. Found it in the dining room sideboard and loved the look of the bottle. Officially, a snowball cocktail - a frothy, child friendly concoction of Advocaat and soda water, one Christmas aged about 10.

I still serve Snowballs on Christmas Day but then the bottle hangs around for a long time.
I seem to remember this was a very "seventies" tradition but I don't know why. The heady days of the cocktail cabinet, full of all sorts of obscure drinks, soda syphons and battery powered cocktail stirrers!

I seem to remember this was a very "seventies" tradition but I don't know why. The heady days of the cocktail cabinet, full of all sorts of obscure drinks, soda syphons and battery powered cocktail stirrers!
My mum and ex-step father didn't marry until 1980 and I wasn't 10 then. I know with them and their friends this tradition went on well into the '80s wrt snowballs and the cabinet of cocktail drinks. My brother replaced snowballs with baileys which he much preferred. I was a snowball person and still like advocat though I hardly drink a thing nowadays.

Egg yolks, vanilla seeds, sugar and then brandy... Sounds very similar to my comfort food, eggs yolks, vanilla seeds, sugar, cornflour and milk...

My mum and ex-step father didn't marry until 1980 and I wasn't 10 then. I know with them and their friends this tradition went on well into the '80s wrt snowballs and the cabinet of cocktail drinks. My brother replaced snowballs with baileys which he much preferred. I was a snowball person and still like advocat though I hardly drink a thing nowadays.

Egg yolks, vanilla seeds, sugar and then brandy... Sounds very similar to my comfort food, eggs yolks, vanilla seeds, sugar, cornflour and milk...
Your snowballs sound better than our eggnog.

Hard to say, but it was likely one of those things that you only ever saw at Christmas (I'm talking early 1970s here). So, let's get the embarrassment over with. Something like Mackeson, Courage Light Ale, Blue Nun or Pomagne.

White wine. My best mate's dad used to make home brew wine and beer, and keep the demijohns and fermenting bottles in my mate's bedroom cupboard - so we used to sneak a sip every now and then; not that I did it very often as I didn't really like the taste of it. :)

My folks used to own an allotment and 1 year there was a glut of pears so they decided to try and make wine, not sure exactly what they made but it tasted sweet and I enjoyed it, looking back I was 'drunk' on the stuff, probably about 6/7 years old, I just remember rolling around the floor laughing.

My folks used to own an allotment and 1 year there was a glut of pears so they decided to try and make wine, not sure exactly what they made but it tasted sweet and I enjoyed it, looking back I was 'drunk' on the stuff, probably about 6/7 years old, I just remember rolling around the floor laughing.

My uncle used to make wine from elderberries. It was rather sweet but quite alcoholic i think.

Hard to say, but it was likely one of those things that you only ever saw at Christmas (I'm talking early 1970s here). So, let's get the embarrassment over with. Something like Mackeson, Courage Light Ale, Blue Nun or Pomagne.
Curious why it should be embarrassing - if something tastes nice [and actually I quite like the blue nun and I don't care who knows it] why does it become a thing of cheap jokes and ridicule ? AS opposed to sometimes very expensive champagne [for example] that often doesn't ?
As to the OP I think it was the old half a pint lager and lime mix -- much too sweet for me now but in those long gone days I guess I liked sweeter things.

Curious why it should be embarrassing - if something tastes nice [and actually I quite like the blue nun and I don't care who knows it] why does it become a thing of cheap jokes and ridicule ? AS opposed to sometimes very expensive champagne [for example] that often doesn't ?
As to the OP I think it was the old half a pint lager and lime mix -- much too sweet for me now but in those long gone days I guess I liked sweeter things.

Do you have some kind of contractual obligation to make a snide remark at every post I make? If it makes you feel happier, I will not be posting on here any more. I have better things to do with my life than be sniped at by people with little better to do in their lives.

My knowledge of alcohol is limited so what exactly is Mackerson? I know Blue Nun but haven't heard if Mackerson.

I bet your Grandmother would know...........

541684473_77aba9983b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom