What was the first alcoholic drink you had?

Its similar but not the same as Guinness.

:yuck:

We went to Dublin about 8 years ago and had a tour of the place that makes Guiness, when you get to the top you are given a 'free' pint or half pint, TVC loved his pint, I had half, really do not like the stuff.

Last edited:
I bet your Grandmother would know...........

541684473_77aba9983b.jpg

Neither are around to ask but my maternal grandma never touched any alcohol in her life neither did my mum, not even the home brew.

Do you have some kind of contractual obligation to make a snide remark at every post I make? If it makes you feel happier, I will not be posting on here any more. I have better things to do with my life than be sniped at by people with little better to do in their lives.
100% not It is NOT NOT NOT a comment on you or your post or some sort of personal attack it is a general comment on the strange fact that many people seem to regard things from the seventies with a weird kind of 'Oh it's from the seventies therefore it must be bad' sort of thing. Check it out if you want - It's seriously strange. Like the £5 pound meal deals we used to get back then - everybody seems to snigger at them yet when asked if they like steak and chips - chocolate cake and a coffee they all say yes - try it. It's just weird. I mistakenly assumed that you too liked some of the 70s drinks and sort of understood my what I was trying to point out, which is why I admitted to liking the old blue nun.
We disagree on lots of things and I would hope may continue to do so but if you wish to move on then all I can do is wish you well.

I was brought up on cream stout from the age of 4, and progressed to Stingo via Advokaat (but never eggnog) by the time I was 17. I now usually drink Guinness or Beamish, or red wine, or vodka, or the occasional gin.

I probably started with a fine, teen-aged single malt when I was about a year old.

I was teething and that was the remedy back in the 60s.

It progressed to a sip of beer at my dad's knee when I was around 8 years old. Mom was out, and I refused to go to sleep.

My first real drink was when I was about 13, and my buddies and I shared a pint of blackberry brandy when we were playing hockey on frozen ponds in the woods. I was wonderful to not feel cold, or pain.

Thinking we could handle our alcohol, someone stole a bottle of sloe gin from their parents' liquor cabinet, and we pounded that straight up in the woods behind the high school.
It didn't stay down very long. We all went home with stained clothing and shoes.

Finally, at the ripe old age of 14, I was handed a Michelob (a 1970s American imitation of a European sounding beer) at a party. It was so afraid to throw up that I excused myself to the bathroom, poured it out, refilled the bottle with water, and proceeded to drink water all night acting like a big shot.

Last edited:
I probably started with a fine, teen-aged single malt when I was about a year old.

I was teething and that was the remedy back in the 60s.

It progressed to a sip of beer at my dad's knee when I was around 8 years old. Mom was out, and I refused to go to sleep.

My first real drink was when I was about 13, and my buddies and I shared a pint of blackberry brandy when we were playing hockey on frozen ponds in the woods. I was wonderful to not feel cold, or pain.

Thinking we could handle our alcohol, someone stole a bottle of sloe gin from their parents' liquor cabinet, and we pounded that straight up in the woods behind the high school.
It didn't stay down very long. We all went home with stained clothing and shoes.

Finally, at the ripe old age of 14, I was handed a Michelob (a 1970s American imitation of a European sounding beer) at a party. It was so afraid to throw up that I excused myself to the bathroom, poured it out, refilled the bottle with water, and proceeded to drink water all night acting like a big shot.
Michelob is still going strong. Or it was in late 90's.
For those across the pond, it is a very pale beer.
Hey Buckytom, it could have been Natural Light (Lite) or Coors. Those are even worse.

Yes, I think it's just a light beer now here. Not sure. I haven't seen it in many years.

and yeah, a Lite beer is only acceptable when that's all that's left.

Yes, I think it's just a light beer now here. Not sure. I haven't seen it in many years.

and yeah, a Lite beer is only acceptable when that's all that's left.
There are a couple of beers, if it a choice of that beer or water, give me water.
Though I was always a top shelf girl. :wink:

In the very early 1970s I used to work for a shipping company that used to bring in draught beers. I remember we brought in two tanker loads of Stella Artois from Belgium. The tankers were impounded by Customs because the alcohol content was a bit higher than was usual in the UK. Eventually it was allowed, but it was more expensive than your average lager. A privately owned pub in Wormwood Street in London also used to import a similar beer in the late 1960s. They were the only "blonde" beers I've ever really liked, although Czech Budweiser was a close 3rd. Talking of which, I haven't had a Budweiser Dark for years.....

Back
Top Bottom