What would you get rid of? A prize for the best answer!

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:13 AM
KitchenGadgets.jpg

This is a challenge. A prize is on offer! You have to throw away one non-food item from your kitchen: pots, pans, plates, tea-cloths, gadgets, cutlery etc. What will you choose? That grubby tea towel, the garlic crusher you never use (you have a better one but keep the old one 'in case'), the spiralizer that seemed like good idea (but is courgetti really that sexy?), the non-stick frying pan which sticks (a bit), the food container which has a missing lid (you know its not really going to turn up), the salad spinner which you rarely use but which takes up a whole shelf in the cupboard? The list could go on...

Please add to it and motivate me to declutter! I have a prize for the best entry. I'm happy to post the prize anywhere in the world (at my expense). The prize is a very special book which if you are a serious foodie, I think you will love. I happen to have two copies of this book (don't ask why) and I'd like it to go to a good home. :happy:

Last edited:
The over the sink sieve that had just been relegated to shifting the wood ash from the fire so that the girls can have an indoor sand /wood ash dust bath area in the chook house because it rains so often in Australia. Wood ash being lime is very good for killing mites and lice in their feathers apparently.

It was relegated there just this afternoon.

A kenwood chef 1980s cream maker,fits on the front of the mixer and you add unsalted butter .Tasted rank 30 years ago,we had a friend that worked for kenwood,we had loads of useless attachments,even a runner bean preparer
Just takes up space now

A kenwood chef 1980s cream maker,fits on the front of the mixer and you add unsalted butter .Tasted rank 30 years ago,we had a friend that worked for kenwood,we had loads of useless attachments,even a runner bean preparer
Just takes up space now
I'm not sure I have ever used any of the attachments for a kenwood chef more than once before consigning them to the back of not used cupboard or cardboard box.

Guys, there is a prize going here. Really! And I know the winner (if they are a foodie) will appreciate it. More entries please.:):okay:

yep the enamel mussel pot seems to be a very good contender!

Sadly for me, having had a clear out not that long ago to move to Australia, I don't really have anything currently except the IKEA sieve which did its job really well for the wood ash and sand. Mind you I had a very good layer of fine ash over me by the time I had finished and washing my face that night covered my white face cloth in a black layer.... and it is overcast and dull today, so no washing because things won't dry and we don't have a tumble drier!

yep the enamel mussel pot seems to be a very good contender!

Sadly for me, having had a clear out not that long ago to move to Australia, I don't really have anything currently except the IKEA sieve which did its job really well for the wood ash and sand. Mind you I had a very good layer of fine ash over me by the time I had finished and washing my face that night covered my white face cloth in a black layer.... and it is overcast and dull today, so no washing because things won't dry and we don't have a tumble drier!

:laugh: or should I be sad? I just had this image of you covered in ash...

Lets put the mussel pot into the competition. I'll contact @Kitchen_Mouse!

I just had this image of you covered in ash...
I was because it was rather windy when I did it, but with all the rain due I needed to get a dry place for the 5 chickens to have a dust bath! But so far they haven't used it! ahhhhh
and my favourite is currently whining under the house trying hard to get my attention and some food... she has been bullied out the nesting box again this morning... annoying because for 5 chooks, I have 4 nesting boxes and she isn't being allowed currently to use one! That said 2 of the newbies are in the nesting boxes at the moment, both on the eggs I put down to try to resolve issues of bullying and get the newbies to know they should use a nesting box. But I think I will have to crawl under the house again very shortly, hopefully not disturbing the wombat because they can get quite vicious at times and I think it is using under the laundry as a den because of all the flooding. care will be needed and needless to say, I will get covered in brown dry soil to add to the layer of blackish grey wood ash from yesterday... oh the joys of being on a rain water tank and a limited supply of drinking water which just so happens to also be what you shower in. I'm trying to talk my OH into a solar shower. still working on it.

I was because it was rather windy when I did it, but with all the rain due I needed to get a dry place for the 5 chickens to have a dust bath! But so far they haven't used it! ahhhhh
and my favourite is currently whining under the house trying hard to get my attention and some food... she has been bullied out the nesting box again this morning... annoying because for 5 chooks, I have 4 nesting boxes and she isn't being allowed currently to use one! That said 2 of the newbies are in the nesting boxes at the moment, both on the eggs I put down to try to resolve issues of bullying and get the newbies to know they should use a nesting box. But I think I will have to crawl under the house again very shortly, hopefully not disturbing the wombat because they can get quite vicious at times and I think it is using under the laundry as a den because of all the flooding. care will be needed and needless to say, I will get covered in brown dry soil to add to the layer of blackish grey wood ash from yesterday... oh the joys of being on a rain water tank and a limited supply of drinking water which just so happens to also be what you shower in. I'm trying to talk my OH into a solar shower. still working on it.

Chickens have a pecking order and that is how it goes, I think. It will sort itself out in time. But now you are adding to the image of ash on the face!

Chickens have a pecking order and that is how it goes, I think. It will sort itself out in time. But now you are adding to the image of ash on the face!
yep - I know and I know.... its hard. My favourite was the top chook of the 2. Getting 3 more has upset the balance. She is now somewhere around the lower 3. It's hard to tell at the moment. The middle one is roosting with the top 2... they are all the new incomers and quiet has been restored by adding a higher roosting perch to the existing setup. The problem now with the nesting boxes is that my OH made a 4 x 1 setup of a single section of wood and is not inclined to make the 2x2 I have asked him to make. I may have to do something tomorrow to sort things out, but they are constantly in the nesting boxes and I don't want to disturb them and my favourite girl is the smallest and lightest of the lot, but not the youngest. The lower 3 all get along, and have their own internal pecking order when it comes to other things... food for example, my favourite will stand up for herself to all but the top chook. however, that is not the case with everything else and at times I have seen the youngest chook (another of my original 2) defending her and at night, she will actually try to get under the youngest chook showing submission... its confusing matters enormously. Plus I want another chook before season end, to start laying come next spring. No2 and No3 will then be in their 4th laying season... a chick now may actually balance things out considerably because it will know it is the lowest... ahhhhhh if only my OH had listened to my original request and made the nesting boxes as I had asked!

I have one of these. I have no idea why because I wouldn't be able to use it and would very likely do myself a serious mischief if I tried.

View attachment 3197
Sadly I have found way too many tins in Australia actually require one of these to open them. I was spoilt living in the UK with a lot of the tins there being ring pull tops now. I have had to remember how to use one - though ours is on our pen knife!

Back
Top Bottom