What would you get rid of? A prize for the best answer!

Sadly I have found way too many tins in Australia actually require one of these to open them. I was spoilt living in the UK with a lot of the tins there being ring pull tops now. I have had to remember how to use one - though ours is on our pen knife!
These are silly tin openers and difficult to use. You need one like this:

31ZjHymrC7L.jpg

or this:

600px-Kitchen-Modern-Can-Opener.jpg

This kitchen could probably do with slimming down on its glassware. Presently, we have enough glasses to run a decent-sized pub. It's hard to think of any that we have actually bought; there are myriad pint glasses from beer festivals, numerous wine and beer glasses that we've received from sellers of (who'd have guessed?) wine and beer, along with a heap of other stuff of unknown origin. A great many of these items have not even been used.

These are silly tin openers and difficult to use.
Agreed, but that means buying one and with money tight, space tight and already having something on the penknife, we need to manage at present. We are only purchasing essentials and my medication (one of which is not available in Australia and I am totally dependent on it to life threatening levels without, treatment of my asthma) medication comes first. Plus if we are careful, and I'm organised, very few tins need to be used. It is usually only when I've forgotten to soak beans overnight that we have an issue!

This kitchen could probably do with slimming down on its glassware. Presently, we have enough glasses to run a decent-sized pub. It's hard to think of any that we have actually bought; there are myriad pint glasses from beer festivals, numerous wine and beer glasses that we've received from sellers of (who'd have guessed?) wine and beer, along with a heap of other stuff of unknown origin. A great many of these items have not even been used.
What numbers are on the glasses?

Should I be concerned that I possess most of the stuff that everyone else wants to chuck out? Apart from a microwave. The bean huller attachment for the vintage Kenwood never gets used because it slices the beans too thinly, but I couldn't possibly throw it out. The spiraliser was used once, resulting in a meal of such blandness that it has been banished to a distant cupboard - life is too short. Still, I may find a use for it one day. Enamelled mussel pots however, get used most weeks. Moules Normande is a dish that I can't be without for very long.

On the other hand, I really do need to win this prize so I shall have to try harder (unless it's a copy of Rick Stein's Food Heroes - I've just ordered that off ebay). How about those ridiculous rubber cup thingies for poaching eggs in? They don't work, the eggs stick to them and I'm perfectly capable of poaching an egg in a pan of water anyway. What on earth possessed me? Or how about the mandolin, so expertly demonstrated at the food show that I just had to have one, complete with finger lacerating attachment. Just getting it out of the cupboard results in a trip to A&E. Have I won yet? If not I would settle for the cat as a consolation prize

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom