What would you get rid of? A prize for the best answer!

I like the poached egg rubber cups as a contender. I feel there ought to be an alternative use for them!

The only way to poach an egg (IMO)......

poachedeggmont.jpg

About 2 tblsp vinegar in the water which is not quite boiling.

The only way to poach an egg (IMO)......

View attachment 3260

About 2 tblsp vinegar in the water which is not quite boiling.
Thats about what I do except I spin the water to form a whirlpool before dropping in the egg. Water at a simmer. Fresh eggs are essential. I've tried it with vinegar and without and can't find much difference. 2 tbsp is a lot though!

Agreed, but that means buying one and with money tight, space tight and already having something on the penknife, we need to manage at present. We are only purchasing essentials and my medication (one of which is not available in Australia and I am totally dependent on it to life threatening levels without, treatment of my asthma) medication comes first. Plus if we are careful, and I'm organised, very few tins need to be used. It is usually only when I've forgotten to soak beans overnight that we have an issue!

Item one in my post is so cheap that its a silly price and I find it works brilliantly on any can (and I have problems with arthritis in thumbs). In UK you can buy one for 45p. They are rather delightfully named 'butterfly' tin-openers. 45 pence - surely you ain't that poor!
http://www.wilko.com/search?q=tin+opener

Item one in my post
which is item 1?
are rather delightfully named 'butterfly' tin-openers
Its not opening ring pull tins that is the issue. It is the fact that few tins here are ring pull...

And at the moment, space (in the kitchen) and finance is an issue - finance is the biggest issue.

Plus purchasing a standard tin opener isn't really going to help much or be of much use in the long run. Most of the stuff that we eat that isn't in a ring pull tin is actually tinned beans. I just need to get better organised and get back to using dried rather than tinned, dried being what we always used in the past.

And tbh, the 3 or 4 penknives we have around the place meet the requirements of opening the non-ring pull tins. Everyone has a tin opener - it is just remembering how to use it that is the issue! I also can't hold tins in my left hand and use a conventional cut the top off tin opener because of major surgery (11 ops) on my left wrist a decade ago. I have much better use of the lower arm and wrist now, but can't grip enough to hold the thingy closed whilst turning it with my right hand - it will come open on me repeatedly and I can not be bothered taping it closed once I have pierced the lid. I need a left handed one (I was originally left handed before an accident back in '93.) Using dried beans and pulses was our way around the problem which was cheaper, easier and nicer in the long run. I don't work. I just need to be better organised at the moment, but I'm still dealing with the back issues and chronic pain management.

which is item 1?

Its not opening ring pull tins that is the issue. It is the fact that few tins here are ring pull...

And at the moment, space (in the kitchen) and finance is an issue - finance is the biggest issue.

Plus purchasing a standard tin opener isn't really going to help much or be of much use in the long run. Most of the stuff that we eat that isn't in a ring pull tin is actually tinned beans. I just need to get better organised and get back to using dried rather than tinned, dried being what we always used in the past.

And tbh, the 3 or 4 penknives we have around the place meet the requirements of opening the non-ring pull tins. Everyone has a tin opener - it is just remembering how to use it that is the issue! I also can't hold tins in my left hand and use a conventional cut the top off tin opener because of major surgery (11 ops) on my left wrist a decade ago. I have much better use of the lower arm and wrist now, but can't grip enough to hold the thingy closed whilst turning it with my right hand - it will come open on me repeatedly and I can not be bothered taping it closed once I have pierced the lid. I need a left handed one (I was originally left handed before an accident back in '93.) Using dried beans and pulses was our way around the problem which was cheaper, easier and nicer in the long run. I don't work. I just need to be better organised at the moment, but I'm still dealing with the back issues and chronic pain management.

Item one is the one I pictured from Wilkos. Not for ring opening. Its s basic cheap tin opener! I think you might have misunderstood? :scratchhead:

This is a simple manual tin opener. Costs peanuts (45p in UK). Opens all tins.

31ZjHymrC7L.jpg

Item one is the one I pictured from Wilkos. Not for ring opening. Its s basic cheap tin opener! I think you might have misunderstood? :scratchhead:

This is a simple manual tin opener. Costs peanuts (45p in UK). Opens all tins.

View attachment 3262
got you. can't use them because of the left wrist issues and grip problems. I have no grip in that position, but I can hold a tin (not well, but better than in the other position) so... :(

got you. can't use them because of the left wrist issues and grip problems. I have no grip in that position, but I can hold a tin (not well, but better than in the other position) so... :(
Oh sorry. I have grip problems too so I sympathise. I recently bought a great gadget for opening jars. My son can open anything but there are times when he isn't here and its very annoying! Its so simple but works on any sized jar. We digress, but I thought this might be of interest if you don't know of it.

41XnATlUmBL.jpg

I have an old flask sitting on the counter which does not keep anything hot anymore. Since that one stopped functioning, which is about two years ago now, we had bought a new one which we use every day. There is really no reason why we should be keeping the other flask. It just takes up room on the kitchen counter. I am also pretty sure there are other utensils in the kitchen drawers that we never use, but are still keeping them. I guess we figure they would come in useful some day. It is not always easy getting rid of some things.

The can opener shown in a previous post is something we use regularly to open tins. It does a good job although I would prefer if all tins had the clip at the top which you just have to pull up and the tin would be opened. So much easier.

Oh sorry. I have grip problems too so I sympathise. I recently bought a great gadget for opening jars. My son can open anything but there are times when he isn't here and its very annoying! Its so simple but works on any sized jar. We digress, but I thought this might be of interest if you don't know of it.

View attachment 3263
have one, even purchased a second one to send over in the container just in case I could not find a decent one here. They are invaluable aren't they!

Oh and the IKEA sink sieve got used again today to filter broken glass (safety glass), rabbit droppings, and small stones out of the area the chooks are using for dust baths. 5 chooks mean I needed a bigger area for them to use. The original 2 chooks had had the best spot taken over by the top 2 chooks and were not getting dust baths in, so I have created a larger area of 'dust' minus debris and dug into the ground a touch to create some larger holes for the larger birds. Topped off and mixed in with some filtered wood ash from the latest fires and success, the largest chook has adopted the bigger hole almost immediately. That sieve is getting more use outside than it ever did in the kitchen! Mind you I need a shower again because it was windy and you can guess what happened with the fine dust!

All the stuff that I had in storage, I had to let it all go! Could not afford to pay the storage fee after accepting the new apartment.

And it was a lot of stuff, mainly for the kitchen. I will never let stuff pile up like THAT again! Even though it is all can be replaced,, I only want a few things to replace the stuff that was lost. I've already replaced a few things. :wink:

All the stuff that I had in storage, I had to let it all go! Could not afford to pay the storage fee after accepting the new apartment.

And it was a lot of stuff, mainly for the kitchen. I will never let stuff pile up like THAT again! Even though it is all can be replaced,, I only want a few things to replace the stuff that was lost. I've already replaced a few things. :wink:
Be careful... one gadget can lead to another!

Oooh what a good question!

Up until 3 months ago we had load of duplicate things which we had replaced with better versions...but then we bought a motorhome so they've come in useful after all :laugh:.
I guess the ceramic pestle which no longer has a mortar (because I dropped it on the tiled floor) might be a good contender.....but actually it fits with the kitchen colour-scheme and is quite useful for keeping little bits in on the windowsill.
Or the electric egg-poacher which was a gift from my mum - its been used twice (when she was visiting), but I think for the sake of family harmony it'll have to stay a bit longer.
Possibly this garlic/chilli/ginger crusher might make it to the shortlist.....
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwsIYr1-ig25evKQe3IkEc8wz2KN6BDdBr3zdLYU7zPUaNtwYbQg.jpg
Far to messy to use and clean up afterwards...but it was another gift from my mum, so its going to have to stay.

No, I think the winner is this four-egg fried egg ring.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbHRgHpEp4ofzgAYB2-4Q83TvowOkMf6Z30XUhwPwC_zafLDww.jpg
It looked like a great idea to have perfectly round fried eggs.....except they don't lie flat against the pan so the egg just runs underneath them. Totally useless! (seems to be a bit of theme here with egg gadgets!)

Ps. in case anyone is wondering.....my mum actually isn't terrible at giving gifts, she's also given me a very useful garlic peeler and a little silicone spoon which is one of my favourites (perfect size and flexibility) :okay:

Back
Top Bottom