What's going on in your garden (2024)?

Remember when I said grown men around here get a rash of shit for wearing “girly” shorts?

My brother asked me about some oregano he bought, and I mentioned how easy it is to grow, so I sent him a pic of my oregano, with my foot in it for scale, just like I did with that thyme above, and it had some of my shirttail in it as well.

Here was his single response:

View attachment 112858

:laugh:

:laugh:

I finally got to spend a whole morning in the garden and it was time to pay a little attention to the orchids. These particular orchids (Cymbidium) grow forwards; when you pot them, you put them near the back of the pot and measure about 3 fingers width to the front, which means they've got room to grow.
These poor blighters hadn't been touched in 3 or 4 years, so they were growing outside the pots, as you can see in the following pictures:
View attachment 112878View attachment 112879
So the first move is to remove them all from the pots and get rid of the "medium" - they don't need earth, since they're epiphytes (ie. they'll grow with their roots in the air and they derive nutrients from air, water or any plant/medium around them) . The medium, in this case, was coconut shells, dried fern roots, corks and broken bricks. Once the plants are removed, you can see three things: a vast amount of roots, dead pseudobulbs (where the leaves are attached) and possibly two or even three plants in one:
View attachment 112880
First order of the day; remove the excess roots. This is pretty drastic, but they soon grow back again, and too many roots means the plant gets stressed, producing more leaves and roots rather than flowers. Once the roots are gone, then the dead pseudobulbs get removed. Then it's easy to see if there's one, or maybe even two or three new plants. From the 6 plants I repotted, I got 12 plants.
Final step was to repot them with space to breathe and grow, and securing them with a metal brace so the plant doesn't move. If the plant is well-secured, it will soon grow healthily; if the plant is unstable (ie., if it moves when you gently shake the pot) then it will not grow.
The two final pictures show the newly potted plants (which then got soaked with water and vitamins) and the flowers.
Unfortunately for me, most of the plants flowered while I was in the UK. The perfume is glorious, but the flower only lasts about 7-10 days, once a year!
View attachment 112881View attachment 112882

Would you say you are an orchid guru? I need some advice.

How can I help? I'm guessing you might have some phanaelopsia, because they sell them in all the UK supermarkets!

Well, we bought these babies from Thailand a good few years ago, they did absolutely nothing for a few years, even now, as you can see they are tiny. They occasionally have a dead leaf but very little else. I have ignored them, let them dry out, apparently you are supposed to shock them into growing, have watered them thoroughly, ok going from 1 to the other probably doesn't help. Bigger pot fresh growing matter, partial shade, but still next to nothing. I am at a loss :scratchhead:

20240428_162016.jpg

They look like a phalaenopsia variant, in which case, no direct sunlight, but plenty of daylight. Any idea of what the flowers look like? The plants are currently perched on top of the medium (bits of bark, etc.) - the medium looks fine - but I'd actually put them IN the medium. Three smaller pots needed here. Make sure the roots are "underground" and make sure the plant doesn't move too much. Put them in a nice sunny spot ( but not direct sunlight) and spray them with rainwater every day or so. Tap water doesn't help them at all. You might want to get some orchid fertiliser, and spray them with that every week or so.
If you can remember the flowers , perhaps this image will help and then I can see more or less what variety they are.
My brother had a dozen plants in the bay window of his house and they flourished beautifully. Mind you, he worked at Sissinghurst Castle and the gardeners gave him loads of wonderful advice.
Phalaenopsia variants.jpg

Back
Top Bottom