What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This afternoon I donned my sunhat and buff to stop my neck burning, and spent an hour or so in the back garden cutting back and tidying up. It is very hot out there, the strong wind is keeping the heat manageable but still too hot to be outside for too long.

I actually saw a butterfly in our back garden a short while ago, a red admiral was hanging around the marigolds :happy:

Hanging basket isn't looking too bad

20180701_185719.jpg

IMG_0463a.jpg

Storm clouds coming in over the apple trees. Thanks to high winds today I now have a serious quantity of apples on the ground that need collecting and turning into something useful. No lie in for me tomorrow then!

My wife just got 4 blackberry canes for our garden. Last summer I became addicted to these as we holidayed in a fruit region. Do you make jam with them???? We just ate fresh.

Russ

My wife just got 4 blackberry canes for our garden. Last summer I became addicted to these as we holidayed in a fruit region. Do you make jam with them???? We just ate fresh.

Russ

Yes, I've made jam but best of all is blackberry and apple pie - there is something that happens when you put blackberries and apples together which is more than the sum of two parts. Its a sort of 'scented' effect and a sweet, sour taste. I hope someone else here knows what I mean!

Yes, I've made jam but best of all is blackberry and apple pie - there is something that happens when you put blackberries and apples together which is more than the sum of two parts. Its a sort of 'scented' effect and a sweet, sour taste. I hope someone else here knows what I mean!

I'm going to try this with my first crop.

Russ

The grass at the far end of the back garden had grown too long for our mower to handle so we got a guy with a strimmer in. He found a few tufts of rice and reckons it is unlucky to cut it unless it is being subsequently eaten, therefore.............

back field s.jpg

Yes, I've made jam but best of all is blackberry and apple pie - there is something that happens when you put blackberries and apples together

Agree with that. And crumble.

Last year's crop here was very poor - I remember going out one September evening with a neighbour, her dog and two kids, and after 45 minutes we'd only gathered enough mûres (wild blackberries) to make a small crumble with apple. In previous years, we'd have gathered bucketsful. But that crumble was really very good.

So there's another variation for you to try @rascal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom