What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 7.30 this morning laying in bed listening to the birds singing in the garden, then I was listening to the rain pouring down-just about heard these over my husbands snoring, can't help it bless him, he has a real stinker of a cold.

This morning whilst in the kitchen boiling 2 eggs I saw a heron fly by and land on a house roof, how do those skinny gangly legs hold up that big body :laugh:

My friend who I've known since school has been watering my plants, it's been very hot in Chch. He's been freezing for me strawberries raspspberries peas beans and tomatoes . Can't wait to,get home to see the garden.

Russ

IMG_0009.JPG

I took and posted this photo back in March, of our quince bush in flower. Last week we noticed that it is in flower again - three months early! I also noticed this morning that we have a self set poppy growing in an albeit sheltered pot - they don't usually appear until around April. What is going on in my garden??

My Everglades tomato plants, especially 1 of them, are growing like mad. The biggest 1 is about a foot and a-half tall and is already starting to flower. I've had to pinch off little flower groups twice in 3 days because I'd rather it get a bit bigger before bearing fruit. The tomatoes grow in clumps and are about 1/2 (1.25 cm) inch in size and very sweet. Just saw some leaf miner activity and I'm going to have to do something about that. Only on 1 leaf now, so I'm going to pinch it off and hope for the best before I use anything.

Pepper plants are growing and growing, hot and hotter Asian varieties.

Shiso plants are getting there. They take forever to sprout and are slow growing. I can't wait for these to get big. I have a recipe already in mind that uses them for a shabu shabu.

Shiso AKA perilla is a Japanese herb belonging to the mint family. To me, it tastes like a cross between basil and mint. I grew some previously but let it die. It can be used to roll sushi, used as sort of a wrapper for sashimi, and in lots of other dishes, including shabu shabu, which is a hot pot dish. Sort of like fondue, except you add noodles to the broth after eating the veges, meat, mushrooms, whatever, sometimes stirring in beaten eggs, and you finish eating it that way. It can use all veges or veges and meat. It's a very customizable dish.

Shiso AKA perilla is a Japanese herb belonging to the mint family. To me, it tastes like a cross between basil and mint. I grew some previously but let it die. It can be used to roll sushi, used as sort of a wrapper for sashimi, and in lots of other dishes, including shabu shabu, which is a hot pot dish. Sort of like fondue, except you add noodles to the broth after eating the veges, meat, mushrooms, whatever, sometimes stirring in beaten eggs, and you finish eating it that way.
You would have to serve me a plate to make me believe! Lols.

Russ

Shiso AKA perilla is a Japanese herb belonging to the mint family. To me, it tastes like a cross between basil and mint. I grew some previously but let it die. It can be used to roll sushi, used as sort of a wrapper for sashimi, and in lots of other dishes, including shabu shabu, which is a hot pot dish. Sort of like fondue, except you add noodles to the broth after eating the veges, meat, mushrooms, whatever, sometimes stirring in beaten eggs, and you finish eating it that way. It can use all veges or veges and meat. It's a very customizable dish.

It seems it can be grown in the UK - I will have to get some seeds:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/apr/14/how-to-grow-the-herb-shiso-perilla

Edit: I just ordered some seeds! Will not be able to plant until Spring, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom