What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain::rain: since about 11pm last night, our new plants need this to give them a good watering in. Everywhere is quite parched.

This afternoon we nipped into a garden centre for pots for my limes and plants for my hanging baskets, all are now planted and re potted.

It is very windy here today, apparently a storm is on it's way.

A patch of our front garden was so dry it was unusable, now we have had so much rain it is workable so my husband has dug it over so after lunch I am going to put some lavender plants in. I have also got a planter in the back garden for some marigolds. Hopefully I can get everything done before the rain returns.

It is windy which is great for drying the washing but it it also very humid.

I want to get some lavender for my garden. Unfortunately any lavender I've planted in the past has been eaten by various dogs over the years. No wind here. It's very humid and murky out. I think we are in for another storm.

Planting done. I have taken some cuttings from our buddleah and 1 from a tomato plant, fingers crossed they take.

A patch of our front garden was so dry it was unusable, now we have had so much rain it is workable so my husband has dug it over so after lunch I am going to put some lavender plants in
lavender does require water as I have found out to my cost in Australia. We put several plants in in a section of flower bed near the pond in our old garden and found that we had to water them once or twice every 2 weeks to keep them alive otherwise whilst flowering the flowers went limp and the leaves actually turned brown. The plants survive better than most, but still needed help. What survived the best is the really dry places were Mediterranean herbs such as winter savoury, rosemary at a pinch - it likes water as well, parsley - tends to bolt and flower if kept too dry, thyme - still benefits from a periodic good watering and weeds. Savoury was by far the best survivor. The bay leaf tree more or less survived, it just didn't grow very well and now it has more water is enjoying itself. But oregano, marjoram (went wild if it ever found water and spreads which is great news in a barren spot) and even coriander/fennel all did quite well as well - they take surface water not deeper level water like lavender, so are ideal to plant in dry areas that you can through grey water over occasionally.

lavender does require water as I have found out to my cost in Australia. We put several plants in in a section of flower bed near the pond in our old garden and found that we had to water them once or twice every 2 weeks to keep them alive otherwise whilst flowering the flowers went limp and the leaves actually turned brown. The plants survive better than most, but still needed help. What survived the best is the really dry places were Mediterranean herbs such as winter savoury, rosemary at a pinch - it likes water as well, parsley - tends to bolt and flower if kept too dry, thyme - still benefits from a periodic good watering and weeds. Savoury was by far the best survivor. The bay leaf tree more or less survived, it just didn't grow very well and now it has more water is enjoying itself. But oregano, marjoram (went wild if it ever found water and spreads which is great news in a barren spot) and even coriander/fennel all did quite well as well - they take surface water not deeper level water like lavender, so are ideal to plant in dry areas that you can through grey water over occasionally.

We have a full water butt so plenty of water to use

Australia very similar conditions to us here, we have a dehydrater we use for thyme rosemary oregano etc but I freeze coriander and basil for my pasta sauces. I especially love coriander and basil!! Love rubbing my hands in it and smelling my hands afterwards. The prices for herbs in the supermarket are crazy.

It is very dull and cool here today, no rain yesterday so the pots and hanging basket have been watered.

Australia very similar conditions to us here, we have a dehydrater we use for thyme rosemary oregano etc but I freeze coriander and basil for my pasta sauces. I especially love coriander and basil!! Love rubbing my hands in it and smelling my hands afterwards. The prices for herbs in the supermarket are crazy.
I often buy living herbs from the supermarket. Parsley will last for ages, and basil will last at least until the winter, when my kitchen is too cold for it. This year, I put some up in the bathroom on the window sill because the bathroom has a heated towel rail in it which takes the chill off the room. I've never had any luck keeping coriander on the window sill though, and usually freeze any I can't use straight away.

IMG_0264.JPG

The giant poppies have started to flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom