What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the start of the rainy season our leelawadee tree is coming into bloom...

20 s.jpg

Same image digitally zoomed....

21 s.jpg

we used to collect the poppy seeds from them once they open up and start to scatter them.
I used to have a load of poppies in my garden, but one year they mysteriously disappeared at the same time my nextdoor neighbour decided to hack one of my elder trees to pieces. I do wish they'd hurry up and sell their house.....

This afternoon I took my orchids outside for a goid soaking with rain water, they are producing leaves but no flowers :(

One part of the left hand side of my garden has sunk by about six inches. I've been filling it up with gravel, leaf mould and compost. It's getting there. The torrential rain the other night didn't wash it away.

We have marigolds in the front garden because I thought they were supposed to deter bugs and keep them away from other plants, turns out I was wrong, the poor marigolds are being savaged :cry:

We have marigolds in the front garden because I thought they were supposed to deter bugs and keep them away from other plants, turns out I was wrong, the poor marigolds are being savaged :cry:
That's what's meant to happen I thought! Your meant to plant them along side tomatoes and other such very. The idea being that they keep the tomatoes free from bugs by being more attractive... At least that's how I understood it.

we used to collect the poppy seeds from them once they open up and start to scatter them.
We plan to do that this year. We used to have poppies all over the garden, but for some, unknown reason all but one have disappeared. We were very lucky to inherit a well planted typical English country garden that seems to have a mind of its own. Things come an go, move around the garden at will, and no two years are the same.

That's what's meant to happen I thought! Your meant to plant them along side tomatoes and other such very. The idea being that they keep the tomatoes free from bugs by being more attractive... At least that's how I understood it.

I always thought that too.

I am going to drench them in bug spray and see how it goes.

I hope you haven't got one of those 'sink holes'. :ohmy:
No - it's the bit where the koi pond used to be. This pond was dug out of good old-fashioned Essex clay and lined with a really good quality liner over 30 years ago. When the pond was no longer needed, it was filled with tightly packed hardcore, earth and gravel, and was fine until a couple of years ago. Either the liner has split, or the constant pounding of a 31 kg mutt is too much for it.

Mind you, in 1976, when we moved into the houses, the people in the end house next to mine woke up one morning to find their garden has disappeared into a big hole, the end wall had split from the apex of the roof right down to the ground, and their garden wall had collapsed. The Council repaired it all, but the garden wall collapses every three or four years. They also checked the rest of the terrace for subsidence. The people who live in that house had the wall replaced by a wooden fence 2 years ago. So far so good. That house has had several different owners over the years - far more than any of the other houses in our road. Owner no. 3 had the house underpinned - he and his brothers (who were builders) did it themselves and never had it put on the deeds, so unless any of the new owners asked, no one knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom