What's on your cooking bucket list?

@morning glory

The Oxtail in Southern Spain is all muscle and relatively no fat .. It is a classic legacy in Madrid and southern Spain during the month of May ..

It is not too common here in Cataluna .. We had prohibited this mass slaughter a number of years ago. It is a big business ( bullfighting) ..
@morning glory

The Oxtail in Southern Spain is all muscle and relatively no fat .. It is a classic legacy in Madrid and southern Spain during the month of May ..

It is not too common here in Cataluna .. We had prohibited this mass slaughter a number of years ago. It is a big business ( bullfighting) ..

@The Late Night Gourmet

I have several authentic ox tail récipes, however, oxtail in Madrid and southern Spain are predominately served as stews or "estofados" not in soups ..
It is quite delicious .. It is quite a legendary classic outside of Cataluna ..

If you would like a récipe, just let me know .. As I mentioned, it is really " bull´s tail " not ox which we normally affiliate with an Asian Ox .. These are the tails of a typical black bull -- probably what you call Angus .. It is a highly revered gastronomic delicacy if one knows how to prepare properly and as mentioned, there is no fat as the tails are muscles not flesh ..

Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg

Since I can't cook outside, I want one of THESE!! :wink:

I could have just updated my original post, but the one I'm adding is too significant for that:
  • Duck - all forms, including Roast "crispy" duck, Peking duck, duck confit, duck liver pate, duck foie gras, and making french fries in duck fat (which I recently heard a local chef does...it sounds astounding).
  • Souffle
  • Salt-Crusted Fish
  • Paella
  • Cheese - yes, I know it's easy to make. But, I haven't yet tried.
  • Smoked food - I have put wood chips in a foil "boat" on my grill to smoke a partly-cooked brisket once, which certainly counts as smoking. But, I have yet to smoke something from beginning to end. I even have a smoker that I haven't put together yet. Even when I do, this will be a long time commitment keeping up the wood chips.The weather isn't cooperating now, either. so this might have to wait until the spring.
  • A good gluten-free bread - I have made gluten-free bread, but it wasn't very good.
  • Oxtail soup - this will have to wait until I can find oxtails!
  • Savory foams - I have a box of "charges", but no whipped cream canister. This seems pretty easy to fix, but it isn't high in my list.

Duck - all forms, including Roast "crispy" duck, Peking duck, duck confit, duck liver pate, duck foie gras, and making french fries in duck fat (which I recently heard a local chef does...it sounds astounding).

I would join you in that one - except that all my duck cooking adventures have all been sad. Tough, chewy... I don't understand it. I am not sure I've eaten good duck anywhere. Maybe I should aim to eat it in a Michelin starred restaurant so I can see how it ought to be before I try to cook it again.

Have you ever cooked duck @The Late Night Gourmet?

I think a lot of people overcook duck. They see it looks a little bit pinkish and (thinking of chicken) they stick it back in the oven for a bit longer - big mistake. I always prick the duck all over and put it on a rack over a deep roasting tin breast side down. Aylesbury or Gressingham ducks seem to be best. My sister did try cooking wild duck but decided it may be better off in the dog's dish rather than on their plates. She's never cooked it since.

I can only really think of a few items
  • Homemade tempeh
  • A dairy free mozzarella replacement. Most are not pleasant. I have something that is a good replacement for melted cheddar style cheese but it had to be made there and then but a nice mozzarella replacement is still needed.
  • ??
I can't really think of anything else at the moment tbh.

Back
Top Bottom