What's on your cooking bucket list?

Good tip! The one time I smoked the brisket, I had to replace the chips every 20 minutes or so, and what remained was mostly ashes. This will slow that down considerably.

It will also produce a nasty, acrid white smoke that will make your food taste bad. It is like using unseasoned wood. Offsets are designed to use seasoned (or kiln dried) splits or 1/2 splits of wood. You want thin, blue smoke or no smoke at all. You can also get wood chunks, just don't soak them. I start my fire using a chimney full of good quality, lump charcoal, lighting it with news paper or ads that come in the mail (no glossy). Then put the lit coals in the firebox and add two splits of wood (I prefer pecan) letting the smoker come up to temp. If you know your smoker, you'll know how to position the dampers for your desired cooking temp. Maintaining a 225F cooking chamber, I find that I need to add 1 split every 45 minutes. My offset is a Horizon 16 Classic.

36788-albums309-picture6771.jpg

Last edited:
We had never made oxtail until a few months ago, then decided to try it, used a recipe from Chateau Ste. Michelle winery for braised oxtail with frites. It was absolutely delish. Just BTW, they aren't what you'd call cheap anymore. We have a place here that started out as mostly a butcher/seafood shop with a small market that has grown and expanded to a large fruit/vege, butcher, seafood shop with a medium size market, with still very good prices compared to the chain supermarkets in the U.S. You pretty much have to go to a restaurant supply place if you want to beat their prices.

Souffles really aren't hard to make. If you want to start out small and make a dessert one, try Emeril's chocolate souffle. It also has a chocolate sauce you pour in the middle of it when it's served, but that's just way too much for me. They also freeze pretty well if you want to make them just for yourself and/or your honey. Put the batter in the individual ramekins, cover it well with plastic wrap and freeze, just make sure you eat over the next week or so, don't know how long they'll stay good (they don't last long here when I make them). They don't puff up quite as much as they do freshly made, but still taste as good. I had this in 1 of his restaurants and was totally hooked. And if you do mess up and it doesn't rise correctly, well then you have a delish baked pudding and you go ahead and make the chocolate sauce to serve with!

Waffles, my aunt makes a mean waffle. I'll dig out the recipe and post in a thread later on. Our DD has been wanting it and I need to type it up for her anyway. You fold in whipped egg whites to the batter and it makes for a light crispy waffle that actually freezes pretty well. I have to say too that a true Belgian Liege waffle is a thing of beauty as well. Of course, it's more like bread, and you pretty much have to order the pearl sugar on-line over here.

I wouldn't mind trying a turducken, you could always bone out a duck leg or 2 for the duck part and use the breasts for something else or pound out the breast and use the legs for confit. We'd have to go small too. I've done okay making duck confit with the legs. We tried doing a tea-smoked duck on the grill once, tough and chewy, it might have been over-cooked, been a long time. We did try this within the last 6 months or so though from Chef Mehta, http://www.mushroomsonthemenu.com/portfolio/duck-breast-over-zucchini-enoki-noodles/ , and it came out perfect.

I'd like to try skate. One of the cooking competition shows used skate and the presentation was just lovely, an angel's wing, plus the recipe sounded good, but the 1 time I've seen it fresh at our place, Craig didn't want fish that week, so we didn't get any and I've never seen it back there. We'll be getting it if there is ever a next time. I'd also give Lion fish a go. They are stating to catch them commercially here now because they have adapted so well to our warm waters and have become a major invasive fish as they are eating native species and have no natural predators here.

Kimchi and sauerkraut aren't hard to make, just inactive time consuming after the initial prep. I like to make it because I think it tastes better than commercially made stuff. I won't eat commercially made sauerkraut, but will eat the small-batch kraut I make (a quart to quart and a-half). Most of the salt is in the juice so unless you are drinking the juice, there's really not that much salt in the veges. You can make vegan kimchi. The last batch I made was actually vegan and was just as good as the ones I've made using the tiny dried shrimp.

We make paella 2-3 times a year, don't have a recipe other than chicken, fresh chorizo or chaurice, whatever seafood looks best in the market, red bell peppers, onions, garlic, valencia rice since that's easiest for us to find, saffron of course, cumin, a little bit of some kind of tomato product, and broth. What we make is a hybrid of Spanish, Cuban, and American versions.

I'd like to try making Hubert Keller's Mushroom and Spinach Saint-Honore with Glazed Pearl Onions out of "The Cuisine of Hubert Keller" book, but I get odd looks and noises whenever I show it to them. Don't really know why, it's just those things, plus sliced almonds, that everybody likes but presented as a piece of art. Other than veges, it's got just a little milk, cream and butter so is vegetarian, and could even be made vegan with the appropriate subs. Since I can't find a picture of it on-line, it's kind of a mushroom cake base with the glazed onions pearl onions dotting the outside rim, with a dark green fresh spinach puree pipped in shells between the onions, with a large rosette of spinach puree in the center topped with a pearl onion with a crown of sliced almonds around it, and also with a sliced almond in each of the spinach shells between the pearl onions on the outside.

I can't really think of much else right now. Foie gras and truffles had always been on my bucket list, but have had those now. There's a few dishes I'd like to make in the "coffeetable" super chef cookbooks I have, but they require things I haven't been able to find except in huge quantities (restaurant amounts) or appliances I either don't want to get (we have so many now) or are not suitable for a home kitchen. I've been toying with getting one of the smaller molecular gastronomy kits and giving that a whirl, maybe a Christmas prezzie, hint, hint Craig.

I'd like to try skate.

Well we are lucky here its often available. That and ray winf=gs which are similar. I've cooked it many a time, often with capers and brwon butter sauce which is a classic way to present it. I must photograph it next time I do.

I'd like to try making Hubert Keller's Mushroom and Spinach Saint-Honore with Glazed Pearl Onions out of "The Cuisine of Hubert Keller" book,

I had a search but can't find an image either - I'm very intrigued. Perhaps you could photograph the photograph in the book to post here! I know what Gateaux Saint-Honore looks like but still can't quite imagine this savoury version. I'd love to cook it!

Waffles, my aunt makes a mean waffle. I'll dig out the recipe and post in a thread later on. Our DD has been wanting it and I need to type it up for her anyway. You fold in whipped egg whites to the batter and it makes for a light crispy waffle that actually freezes pretty well. I have to say too that a true Belgian Liege waffle is a thing of beauty as well. Of course, it's more like bread, and you pretty much have to order the pearl sugar on-line over here.

I've not heard of the Belgian Liege - but I do have pearl sugar! I've got a waffle iron which is one of those that you dip in the mix and then deep fry for a few seconds but I'm yet to try it out (that is another type of waffle). Looks like this:

41IgJo3JSfL-2.jpg

I'd like to try making Hubert Keller's Mushroom and Spinach Saint-Honore with Glazed Pearl Onions out of "The Cuisine of Hubert Keller" book
I'd like to find out what this is exactly. Saint honore is typically a cake.

I've been toying with getting one of the smaller molecular gastronomy kits and giving that a whirl, maybe a Christmas prezzie, hint, hint Craig.

I wondered what the odds were that two people from South East Florida joined and posted at about the same time. Mystery solved, I think! :chef:

I'd like to find out what this is exactly. Saint honore is typically a cake.

I wondered what the odds were that two people from South East Florida joined and posted at about the same time. Mystery solved, I think! :chef:

They are not the only married couple here... there is at least one other. :)

Thank you so much for taking trouble to photograph it! It looks stunning (maybe a little retro?) but stunning nevertheless. Forgive me saying its a bit old school in style - is it quite an old book perhaps? Since you mentioned him I've looked at his website. Oh my gosh, how much would I like to visit his Fleur restaurant!

Now I know who that is. My first thought was "Thomas Keller", and apparently that's a mistake that's been made many times over the years (Thomas is American, and Hubert is French, and as I understand it, they're not related). I remember seeing Top Chef last season where he closed Fleur de Lys in San Francisco, which was really quite an emotional moment.

Humph, I thought he had retired and that's why he closed Fleur de Lys, but guess not. He's an old school French chef. That particular book was published in 1996. A lot of his stuff is very formal, old school, retro, but there's nothing wrong with that. We've tried several of his recipes and there hasn't been one we haven't liked yet, which is why I don't understand the reluctance to try that dish. One of the recipes really liked was gougeres with a tomato cumin sauce, which was certainly a new combo. We tried 1 of his ratatouille recipes not long ago and it was the best ratatouille I've ever had.

BTW, I bought the cookbook off Amazon for under $10 as a used book and it was in brand new condition.

I've tasted it and love it! Its all about what you eat it with and the Koreans swear by it. I want to make my own. I love the concept of fermented foods. There are very few cuisines I don't like as it happens!

I sort of agree with you about the Lobster Thermidore. But I believe it could work and want to try making it.
I have a jar of Kimchi in the fridge, bought at a food show in the summer. I have no idea what to do with it, and whilst the health benefits appeal to me I do find it rather scary.

Lobster Thermidor is well worth the effort. I'm not sure I would want to do the whole thing from scratch, but getting the lobster ready prepped by the fishmonger makes it quite an easy dish.

I would like to try cooking fish in a salt crust. Also making a soufflé.

There is a local restaurant - a location here and another in Lake Charles, LA. They serve a divine soufflé. If you want the soufflé you have to order it with your dinner order. Each one is made to order. The thought of their soufflé is enough to make my mouth water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom