What's on your cooking bucket list?

I have a jar of Kimchi in the fridge, bought at a food show in the summer. I have no idea what to do with it, and whilst the health benefits appeal to me I do find it rather scary.
I would like to try cooking fish in a salt crust. Also making a soufflé.

There is a local restaurant - a location here and another in Lake Charles, LA. They serve a divine soufflé. If you want the soufflé you have to order it with your dinner order. Each one is made to order. The thought of their soufflé is enough to make my mouth water.

Are we talking savoury or sweet soufflé? Neither are difficult to make but must be served immediately...

I have been thinking long and hard about this. I have goals(New Year resolutions in the making), like eating more vegetarian food, exploring more Middle Eastern recipes, completely eradicating plastic packaging from the shopping trolley, drinking less wine (just kidding) etc., but I am struggling to replenish my bucket list. I was beginning to think that I had reached a dead end, but eventually I have realised that my approach to cooking has changed, largely due to joining this forum. Previously I had raced ahead, leaping on every trend or newfangled gadget that I could find, inspired largely by the Heston Blumenthal approach. However, since joining CB I had realised that I had missed loads of important things, and it became more about taking food that I already eat, but making it the best it could possibly be. Take the simple Coq-au-vin, or the Chicken Kiev for example. Nothing special to most people, but to go through the whole process - researching recipes, selecting ingredients, learning new cooking techniques, and then for someone to eat it and say "Wow, that was amazing". Thanks to the inspiration from being on CB I have crossed off many things on this years bucket list. I have made my first pork pie, perfected triple cooked chips (and thus, roast potatoes), medium rare steak and confit duck legs. I am happy with that. Two things remain for this year - the perfect pheasant breast (in time for my Mother's visit next Friday) and breaded rounds of bone marrow. Maybe with time off over Christmas I shall find inspiration.

I have been thinking long and hard about this. I have goals(New Year resolutions in the making), like eating more vegetarian food, exploring more Middle Eastern recipes, completely eradicating plastic packaging from the shopping trolley, drinking less wine (just kidding) etc., but I am struggling to replenish my bucket list. I was beginning to think that I had reached a dead end, but eventually I have realised that my approach to cooking has changed, largely due to joining this forum. Previously I had raced ahead, leaping on every trend or newfangled gadget that I could find, inspired largely by the Heston Blumenthal approach. However, since joining CB I had realised that I had missed loads of important things, and it became more about taking food that I already eat, but making it the best it could possibly be. Take the simple Coq-au-vin, or the Chicken Kiev for example. Nothing special to most people, but to go through the whole process - researching recipes, selecting ingredients, learning new cooking techniques, and then for someone to eat it and say "Wow, that was amazing". Thanks to the inspiration from being on CB I have crossed off many things on this years bucket list. I have made my first pork pie, perfected triple cooked chips (and thus, roast potatoes), medium rare steak and confit duck legs. I am happy with that. Two things remain for this year - the perfect pheasant breast (in time for my Mother's visit next Friday) and breaded rounds of bone marrow. Maybe with time off over Christmas I shall find inspiration.

This post has made me so happy! I've spent large chunks of my life on this Forum over the last three years (maybe even too much time!) but in that process I've learned more than I ever thought possible - not least, how to take good food photos. I've tried dishes I never thought I could do and learned about cuisines from other cultures that I knew nothing about. I'm not sure why, but this forum is different from others I've been on or belong to. Maybe its because its a small community. Yet its that which is our biggest threat. To be long term viable we need a bigger membership...

Back
Top Bottom