Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:31 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0866.JPG

What's your favorite color?

I remember being asked that when I was a kid, and I sometimes get that question as an adult. Some people take this sort of thing seriously: they wear their favorite color, decorate their house in that color, even feature their color in their wedding. But, I never had a real favorite color. I think I liked black the best for clothing. But, if you're a kid who tells people you like the color black, they want to send you to a psychologist. So, I always said "blue". I don't think that anyone who says their favorite color is blue actually has a favorite color.

But, that all changed last night. I decided to make some tabouli, and then things went off the rails a bit: I ended up making three things in 30 minutes, and all of them were decidedly...green. The directions for all three things are basically the same: chop everything up and blend together, salting to taste. It's interesting, too, how these things took me to different parts of the world.

Tabouli (Middle East)

My brother is gluten intolerant, so I made some for him without the bulgar wheat, It turns out that I like it better this way, since it highlights my favorite part of tabouli: the mint.

Ingredients

parsley, mint, tomato, onion, garlic - all chopped
olive oil and lemon juice in equal amounts
salt to taste

Sauce Vierge (France)

Sometimes, I taste something or see something, and I want to figure out how to make it. In this case, I heard the name, and decided to investigate. This is now my favorite sauce.

Ingredients

avocado, 1/2 onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 tablespoons basil, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 2 Calabrian chili peppers - all diced
olive oil and lime juice - mine isn't swimming in oil like most sauce vierge that you might see

Pesto (Italy)

I've made so many pestos from so many different kinds of greens beside the classic basil. I think arugala might be my favorite. As with all pestos, the greens can be any green, the cheese can be any hard cheese, the nuts can be any nuts, and there's some flexibility in the oil. But, here's where my insistence on not following a recipe nearly led to disaster: I was a bit overconfident in adding the salt. Fortunately, I had some arugala remaining, so I blended it in, and the balance was restored. I also continued my previous experiment by adding a pepper to the pesto to give it a kick.

Ingredients

arugala, shredded romano, olive oil, Calabrian chili pepper + oil, sesame seeds

Directions

Pulse the arugala and chopped chili pepper with olive oil in a food processor. Add cheese and seasame seeds and blend to desired consisency. Add salt a little bit at a time, and blend until desired taste is achieved.

Yes, green's my favorite color now, and I have no doubt about it. But, don't expect to see me wearing it.

Last edited:
@The Late Night Gourmet,

Well .. Firstly, in a wide variety of Asian countries, for example, India, and China, people wear white at funerals and funeral ceremonies .. And in traditional Eastern Weddings, women wear tones of ruby red for good luck, not white, which represents death in India and China.

For clothing: Black (all ) or black with White or Off White and 2ndly, medium to dark blue jean blue ..

For interiors: Crude off whites in small apartment spaces .. The earthy palate of pale beiges and rattan tones .. Very woodsy tones and I have Wood flooring ..

When it comes to cuisine, it depends .. I like greens, with touches of radicchio magenta red violet .. Salmon coral as in Nigriri & Sashimi ..

When it comes to desserts, black chocolate with decorative touches in Chanel Red (brilliant true red), champagne gold with a sparkle or silver with a sparkle or Black chocolate and White chocolate which I find the most impacting ..

Nice récipes though, Pesto is traditionally prepared with Genovese Fresh Basil as you know .. And I Basil, as it is my favorite Fresh Herb ..

I have never had it with " Rocket " (arugula ) ..

And sauce VIerge does not have avocado traditionally .. And I am not a grand fan of avocado .. I have had it occasionally in salads or with mango, red onion and papaya as a fruit salsa for fish, but I am not too crazy for the texture ..

I am quite a fan of Tabouli .. and most Mediterranean Mid Eastern cuisines especially Moroccan and Lebanese ..

The Late Night Gourmet Globe Trotter experiments once again !

Have fun and have a nice evening ..

Last edited:
Hmmm.... its easier to say the colours of food I least like - which would be beige, brown, or generally washed out sludgy colours. This is partly influenced by the fact that they are the worst food colours to photograph. I like black a lot - for both food and clothing. But I also like vibrant greens, red, yellow, orange.

For clothes I generally wear black with splashes of primary colours - bright yellow earrings or black T shirts with a coloured design - hard to explain. A current favourite T shirt is black with a silver design - its in mirror image below. It reads 'Unicorn Believer' ! :laugh:

20170902_145322.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, green's my favorite color now, and I have no doubt about it. But, don't expect to see me wearing it.
Green is a very difficult colour to wear - my daughter is a natural red-head and can wear it. But more importantly, I love your taboulis. I'm making up lunch boxes for vegetarian daughter and vegan son at the moment and tabouli would be perfect! I'll be making some today...

Hmmm.... its easier to say the colours of food I least like - which would be beige, brown, or generally washed out sludgy colours. This is partly influenced by the fact that they are the worst food colours to photograph. I like black a lot - for both food and clothing. But I also like vibrant greens, red, yellow, orange.

For clothes I generally wear black with splashes of primary colours - bright yellow earrings or black T shirts with a coloured design - hard to explain. A current favourite T shirt is black with a silver design - its in mirror image below. It reads 'Unicorn Believer' ! :laugh:

View attachment 10223

Cool shot, @morning glory ..

Bother in law made a batch of pasta and coloured it blue a while ago - once you got over the colour it tasted fine [as it would do] but it still seemed weird somehow. We definitely eat [at least to some extent] with our eyes.

How did he colour it blue? Or I could ask, why? :D

Bother in law made a batch of pasta and coloured it blue a while ago - once you got over the colour it tasted fine [as it would do] but it still seemed weird somehow. We definitely eat [at least to some extent] with our eyes.

@sidevalve

What type of blue food dye did he use ?

Was it floral or herbal or was it " some industrial food dye " ?

It has been stated that "blue foods " ( excluding blue berries ), according to analysis, are not as well liked ..

Got to go as it is late, almost 12am ..
Have a nice evening ..

Back
Top Bottom