What's Your Favorite Sauce?

@The Latenight gourmet

Mayonnaise is a wonderful base for cold sauces, spreads, dressings. So easy to make. A great platform for added ingredients - herbs, lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, EVOO. The list goes on.

Compound butter is not a sauce but can replace a sauce when added to a perfectly grilled steak or a finely pan grilled piece of fish.

When I have time - maybe next week! For now, try this one: White wine and basil sauce for fish. Sweat down a finely chopped shallot in butter. Add equal volume of sweet white wine and good fish stock. Reduce by half, add thick cream and fresh basil. Season to taste. Use Greek basil if you can get it - the smaller leaves can go in whole. You can tinker with the quantities to adjust the strength of the sauce - milder goes well with delicate fish like sole, or stronger works with more robust fish like hake. It is divine!

That sounds good @epicuric. We both like fish very much and try to eat it at least twice a week so I am always looking for new ideas for fish dishes. Do you make your own fish stock?

I completely forgot about pesto! I usually make my own, often using lovely fresh young bright green carrot tops, so it is pretty much a seasonal occasion for me.

I have yet to experiment with mayo. I used to be able to eat it although for the past few years commercially made mayo has caused a reaction. I am not allergic to the basic ingredients, so maybe I shall make a small quantity of my own and see if that has the same effect.

Last edited:
I have yet to experiment with mayo. I used to be able to eat it although for the past few years commercially made mayo has caused a reaction. I am not allergic to the basic ingredients, so maybe I shall make a small quantity of my own and see if that has the same effect.

Same here - I've no idea why I react. I am marginally better with home made mayo but it still affects me. I happily eat eggs and oil so it makes no sense to me! I have the same reaction to taramasalata. It makes me feel slightly sick for several hours. You could always have a go at mayo made fro aquafabia (bean water). It really works if you haven't tried it. I don't have the same reaction to that.

:scratchhead: What is bread sauce?
Its a savoury white sauce made with fresh breadcrumbs and milk - sometimes cream. We can get packet mixes here but home-made is better. The spices are typically mace, nutmeg, cloves. Its a thick sauce which is traditionally eaten with chicken, turkey or game.

bread-sauce.jpg

Sounds wonderful. Recipe please.

My family may get some surprise dishes for the holidays.

I like that idea of your family getting surprise dishes! The good thing about bread sauce is that you have just a little (or if you are me, a lot) on the side . Its one of those things that goes onto the table and people can help themselves to as much or little as they wish. I will put together a recipe soon. Its rather an easy thing to make.

If you make too much, you can freeze it too! I often make a largish amount and, just when it has started to thicken, I freeze half of it. If you freeze it once completely cooked, it can go a bit rubbery, although it's still very nice, especially cold.

@morning glory

:thankyou:

@Elawin

Too much is rarely an issue with my family. We always have an embarrassing amount of food. The idea is that everyone gets to bring left overs home.
I buy an embarrassingly large amount of freezable food at Christmas (pork, duck, chicken, turkey, gammon, beef and lamb are a must). I always have duck for Christmas dinner, but can take my pick out of what else to have with it, and the remaining meat and any cooked food will see me through several months. I probably make more sauces and stuffings at that time of year too.

Back
Top Bottom