What's your staple dish?

SpongeyB

Veteran
Local time
7:55 PM
We have this great bread in my region. It is a flat bread that one can eat with stew of any kind. I often take it with beef stew but can be eaten in many ways than one. I have attached the recipe if you like to try:)

Mod Edit: Recipe added from file

Chapati Recipe
Chapati is a type of flat bread common among many communities in East Africa. There is a variety of ways to serve Chapati that make it well loved in families. Years ago, it was the reserve of special occasions (such as Christmas) when every family would strive to make the delicacy.

Recipe
2 cups white flour
Some oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
water

Mix all the ingredients well adding1 tablespoon of oil to the flour mixture. Kneed with your hands until you get smooth dough in your hands.

Leave the dough to stand for at least 30 mins before dividing it into equal parts. After you have the pan on your gas stove, roll out each part of the dough over a gentle flame to cook. Pour out cooking oil on the sides of it while it cooks. Turn over the chapati to cook on the other side. You should have a great chapati when the bread is layered with light patches on each side.

Continue the process for the other balls until you are done.

Ideas

I like to add cinnamon to my chapati dough and at times even add grated carrots. You can use anything you like to spice up the bread that goes for a wholesome dish in the end.

How to eat chapati
You can have it with a stew of meat and vegetables. Some people like it with cereals such as green grams too. It makes for a great breakfast too as you can take it with hot tea.

Attachments

• Chapati Recipe.docx
    15.7 KB · Views: 335
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have one staple dish but several. Mince meat can be used to make lasagne, or chilli, or cottage pie. Pork can be used with BBQ sauce, and then have either rice with vegetables, or noodles or french fries.

a frozen food centre in the UK called Iceland do great frozen burger buns. These can be de frosted, and you can have burgers, or chicken burgers, or with fish.

Burgers can be eaten with a variety of other things. Either as burgers, or with vegetables.

All of the above are staples in my house because they can be mixed and matched in lots of different ways.

In my country Philippines and maybe all throughout Asia rice is the staple food. You can do a lot with rice, you can fry it to make fried rice, make sticky sweet desserts or steam it to make rice noodles. Speaking of noodles that's also our number two staple. You don't go to any Asian restaurant without finding any noodle dish and there are a lot of varieties too like egg noodles, crispy noodles etc.

Our staple dish here is rice and peas with beef stew. The favourite peas for this dish is usually dry peas, but peas of any kind are also popular. Rice on the whole is eaten more than any other dish here. If it is not done with beef stew, the next most popular meat would be chicken, either stewed or baked. However, chicken is used mostly on Sundays. That is a tradition here in most households.

aside from the bread, wich must always be on the table, I must say rice and pasta: you can eat them every day, but cooked in different ways, to accompany various dishes or with different toppings/sauces, and never eat two similar dish.

We have this great bread in my region. It is a flat bread that one can eat with stew of any kind. I often take it with beef stew but can be eaten in many ways than one. I have attached the recipe if you like to try:)
I can't read this. I don't think the forum displays word documents (or at any rate I can't view it). I notice your bread is called chapati, which is something I associate with Indian cuisine. I make it myself, using wholewheat flour or chickpea flour. I'm assuming that yours is similar?
chapati.jpg

Sorry you can't read it @morning glory. It is similar to Indian roti only I use either white or brown wheat flour.I season the bread with a bit of cinnamon to taste. Great for festivities here!

We are rice eaters here in the Philippines although in the southern part of the country, there are regions that has corn for the staple. In fact, the famous boxer Manny Pacquiao lives in the south and their staple is corn instead of rice. And in the northernmost part of our country, particularly in the province of Batanes, their staple is neither rice nor corn but root crops such as cassava, sweet potato and yam. Truly, our country has varied culture and eating habits.

As a person who grew up and live to two Asian Countries our staple dish is rice. In every meal it is always serve together with the other side dishes and main dishes.

@Corzhens I wish we had that much variety in my country. You are lucky to come from one filled with so much food to trade. We have variety here only we face crop failure sometime making it predictable for the food supply. I grow cassava, yam and sweet potatoes back in the country where I come from. For now I reside in the city.

I would not mind eating rice the rest of my life. I do that often and often come up with various ways of cooking it. We grow rice in my country as well so the supply is constant. Only most people like to eat cornmeal more this way. They claim its somewhat a heavier meal:headshake:

Sorry you can't read it @morning glory. It is similar to Indian roti only I use either white or brown wheat flour.I season the bread with a bit of cinnamon to taste. Great for festivities here!
Cinnamon. Thats a new one on me with chapati. Do you mean it is eaten as a sweetened bread - or would the cinnamon be used as savoury?

Having grown up in Australia we have such a mix of cultures and cuisines that I wouldn't really say I had a staple dish growing up. My family background is half Italian on my mother's side so I guess if I had to say we had a staple food it would be pasta of some description!

I'd say rice like Caribbean Girl said except for me it could be with anything. I happen to be making a chicken stew today to go with mine. With the rice concerns being discussed recently, I might have to seriously cut back. I love flatbread but that's not a staple around here. I am pretty sure some might not even know what it is depending on who you ask.

The most staple food in my country is rice. We usually have rice for breakfast, lunch and even dinner. Maybe a few will have bread for breakfast but the majority eat rice. This is because rice makes you feel full longer. A meal without rice feels like snacks only. Lol. Most of our viand also taste better with rice.

Back
Top Bottom