When did you last have food poisoning?

If you've eaten "steak" in Spain it may be horsemeat. I found it quite tough but tasty (1971).

If you've eaten "steak" in Spain it may be horsemeat. I found it quite tough but tasty (1971).
The "steak" we had in Germany was lovely. The horsemeat butcher was across the road from where I lived and they slaughtered the horses themselves. The meat was very fresh.

True. But I'm thinking donkey might be unlikely in the UK?
Not as unlikely as you might think
Horse & Hound
00:00 - 25 June, 2002

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/outcry-over-donkey-meat-for-sale-in-uk-36118#S23bvwlpYplR6wCH.99
Pressure from animal rights activists and wide media coverage this week has forced a French shopkeeper to stop selling donkey meat from his shop in Sandwich, Kent.

Dominic Levet, owner of Dominique’s Delicatessen has been based in the popular Kent seaside town of Sandwich for three years. He told a weekend newspaper that he: “believedthe donkey meat he had sold came from donkeys bred in France and killed humanely“.

Speaking about his decision to stop selling donkey meat, Mr Levet said: “I have been here for three years during which time nobody has ever come in to complain about what I sell. I do not wish to offend anyone and for that reason I have decided to no longer sell it.”

Prior to media interest the shop had been selling donkey sausages for £3.50 each, along with othertraditional French produce. Mr Levet is formerly from the south-west region of France where eating horse and donkey meat is common place.

Animal lovers in the UK were said to be appalled at the thought of eating donkey meat.

Aspokesperson from the Donkey Sanctuary in Devon said: ” We are really pleased that Mr Levet has withdrawn donkey meat from his shop. Until the transport of donkeys and horses for slaughter is regulated, no one can be certain of the exact origins of their meat and how it was treated prior to destruction.”

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/outcry-over-donkey-meat-for-sale-in-uk-36118

It was a very long time ago in the 1960s and it was well stewed with herbs. I can't really compare it with anything else but it was quite pleasant.

I guess if things are all stewed then it helps! :D But i suppose it might be like horsemeat.

Maybe 3-4 years ago I had serious poisoning, but some issues with my stomach after eating something not fresh I had maybe month ago.

Puerto Vallarta...last winter...was no surprise....I usually get some kind of bug when I go to Mexico because I love raw oysters from the seaside stands...a diet of cerveza, and Mechiladas will usually have it cleared up withing 24 hours...

June before last, I had a tuna sandwich from a vending machine. It was 'in date' and chilled.
Violently sick for a day or two, the serious diarrhoea for a day. I knew what had caused it as I could feel it sitting on my stomach, fermenting, after I'd eaten it.

I was going to say never, but Rock reminded me of a trip to the Yucatan years ago. I had Montezuma's revenge the very first night, probably because I was young, stupid, and invincible back then.
I was raised eating raw eggs, fish, some meats, and blood, so I thought I'd be ok. But Mexico has a special surprise for all us gringos.
I was on the throne all night until the candy store/pharmacy opened in the morning and I was able to buy something called Lomotil. There it was, a prescription only drug in the US, right there next to the chocolate and chiclets.

I was going to say never, but Rock reminded me of a trip to the Yucatan years ago. I had Montezuma's revenge the very first night, probably because I was young, stupid, and invincible back then.
I was raised eating raw eggs, fish, some meats, and blood, so I thought I'd be ok. But Mexico has a special surprise for all us gringos.
I was on the throne all night until the candy store/pharmacy opened in the morning and I was able to buy something called Lomotil. There it was, a prescription only drug in the US, right there next to the chocolate and chiclets.
In parts of Texas, it is common or was common to find many prescription medicines in Spanish due to them being over the counter in Mexico. Heck, one could even get hormones or birth control pills cheaper in Mexico and they required a prescription there.
Oh and for years I got my pure vanilla extract in Mexico because it was so much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom