When was the last time you ate an egg?

I had eggs this morning. It was going to be omelettes but the" fake"frying pan forced me to scramble them. I have a guest who's easy so it bothered him none.

I had my weekly delivery of 6 eggs yesterday - organic eggs straight from the farm. The colour of the shells ranged from one white through to one that was a very dark brown. Up until now the white ones have had the darkest yolks, so this box should be interesting.

I love eggs and discussing eggs. This is a very long thread so I have just skimmed the post.

A guy George works with raises chickens. He gives us a couple of dozen eggs every month or 2. At least he did until dogs killed most of his chickens. :cry:

Eggs are a perfect food. So delicious and so versatile.

I like a runny yolk, or as you say across the pond "dippy". I actually find "dippy" an excellent word for soft, runny yolks.

Poached, soft boiled, over easy, soft, glossy scrambled eggs.

Did you know that Gordon Ramsay's English Scrambled Eggs is his most watched You Tube video?

Jamie Oliver has You Tube video on English, French and American scrambled eggs.

How do you scramble your eggs?

I have an Egg Strata recipe that I need to post. I make it for George to bring to his hunting camp and fishing camp.

Last edited:
How do you scramble your eggs?

I think there is a recent thread about this. I'll search... I was thinking of this: Boiled 'scrambled' eggs where there is some discussion about techniques for scrambled eggs. Perhaps we need a new thread on scrambled egg techniques.

Last edited:
I like a runny yolk, or as you say across the pond "dippy". I actually find "dippy" an excellent word for soft, runny yolks.
I have to say that the first time I heard the word 'dippy' regarding boiled eggs was in the news report two days ago! Its not a term I've come across before. I don't know if it was invented by a journalist... I always call them soft boiled or runny.

I have to say that the first time I heard the word 'dippy' regarding boiled eggs was in the news report two days ago! Its not a term I've come across before. I don't know if it was invented by a journalist... I always call them soft boiled or runny.
We always used to call them dippy eggs when I was a little girl. Perhaps it's an Essex thing :laugh: Funnily enough, in those days I could eat them, so long as they were served up with plenty of soldiers. Nowadays I don't mind softish hard-boiled eggs, where the white is solid and the yolk only slightly runny - but they must be hot and freshly cooked. If the eggs are cold, the yolks must be set solid.

IMG_1894.JPG

Finally managed to get to the butchers today to stock up on eggs. The Burford Browns are back in lay and the colour of the shells is just amazing.

I don't know if it was invented by a journalist...
We've always called them dippy eggs when they are soft boiled. Perhaps it's a northern thing?
View attachment 11208
Finally managed to get to the butchers today to stock up on eggs. The Burford Browns are back in lay and the colour of the shells is just amazing.
They are great. Over here the nearest I can get to those are French copper marans which lady an egg shell of a similar colour. But my husband will kill me if we have any more chickens. We are taking an average of 17 eggs a day at the moment from our 20 layers but the bantam who lays blue eggs has just gone broody on me which means she won't lay for around 6-8 weeks... But I'll end up with more Bantams as a result and in about 5 months time they will start laying as well.

Yesterday I managed to give away 3 dozen eggs. My girls added only 14 eggs to the fridge but by the end of today I expect that they will have replaced all of the eggs I have away... But they are happy. I have the most amazing range of eggs shell colours. I just lack the very dark brown and a pure white...

Back
Top Bottom