Where do you eat dinner?

We grew up in two extremes, so I guess we are at a good compromise. His family was very strict about family meals together with no distractions, and my family was always working so I often ate alone in the family room.
That was exactly how I grew up, other than Wednesdays when I was at my grandparents home and there evening meal was served at the table and everything was turned off (only really radio or TV back then) and we all talked about our week etc.

I prefer the table approach. I think it makes for a better family environment.

We also used to gather around in the dining room as a family and eat dinner together but of late we just eat all over the place to be honest!
There is no specific place or area in the house that is for eating. I have to say though that I don't like eating in front of the TV very much, so I am actually thinking of implementing the dining room eating rule again!

I live in a small terraced house with only a kitchen and lounge downstairs so all meals are eaten on the sofa, with trays on our knees. I would really love a dedicated dining room. I think it would make mealtimes more of an occasion and probably inspire me to expand my repertoire. I have dreams of covering a dining table with various pots and dishes of different foods and letting people just help themselves. You can't do that in the lounge!

It used to be that it was proper to eat dinner at your dining room table, but that is not so much the case anymore. We usually eat dinner in the living room with TV trays while we watch the news or whatever else is on. Where does you family eat dinner?

We eat all over the place and often at varying times. I don't think it's cool AT ALL. It's been going on for so long now I don't even know how to fix it. I believe families should have that one time when they sit and eat together. It's what I remember most about growing up. It's a good time to chat and know what's going on in each others lives. I miss that.
:(

We turn the telly off and sit at the dining table - as a family. It's an opportunity to talk about our day, spend some time with our daughter (who otherwise shuts herself up in her room with Youtube, streamed pop music and her mates on her mobile) and it's something both my wife and I's parents did when we were younger, so it's a nice tradition to uphold. :thumbsup:

We have an island in our kitchen and when its just the two of us, we eat our dinner there and quite regularly, the television is on. When we have company we eat in the dining room, although I do find the dining room a bit more cramped and really prefer the kitchen.

on my days off we sit as a family ,its hard to keep my sons still once they think they have finished,we have a dining room used more in the winter or we eat outside or the conservatory in the warmer times,during the week we eat in the lounge in the study

Back
Top Bottom