Where do you eat when at home?

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
3:00 AM
We always try to make an effort to set the dining table for our evening meal even though its just the two of us but sometimes (mostly in winter months) we snuggle up on the sofa in front of the TV and eat off trays! We have a kitchen table too and that is where we have breakfast and lunch. I thought it would be interesting to hear what other people do. Is it that important to eat at table?

My husband and I sit at the dining room table as we do not eat home all that much to sit at our desks with the computers on .. We do not have have a kitchen table as there is no room in our kitchen for one .. We do have a terrace and sometimes the 2 of us, sit on the terrace and have a lunch or dinner when weather permitting ..

When I am alone or at the office, sometimes I eat at my desk however, very infrequently .. I like to get in a walk and get fresh air ..

I don't even have a table! I do have a low coffee table but that is tantamount to living (or should that be eating) dangerously with the mutt around, and it's where I put books and magazines. I do have a computer desk, though, and I usually put my food on there. If I have visitors, then it's laps.

I don't even have a table! I do have a low coffee table but that is tantamount to living (or should that be eating) dangerously with the mutt around, and it's where I put books and magazines. I do have a computer desk, though, and I usually put my food on there. If I have visitors, then it's laps.

This may be an over inquisitive question, but why don't you have a table? :scratchhead:

As for me, we have a dining table in the front room which is also where my MacBook lives when its at home. So that is where I eat. The TV is usually on too unless I am eating lunch on my own, in which case I read whilst eating. The (grown up) kids take the food up to their rooms. When I stay with my friend in Saffron Walden (my home from home) we eat at the table in the front room (usually whilst watching TV!).

We have a table in the kitchen at which I prepare food but we never eat at it. We have a coffee table in the lounge at which my wife occasionally eats but generally she eats on a mat on the floor (as do her mates if they come around).

Me, I eat outside on the stoep.

The only time we eat together at our table (in the dinette area of the kitchen; we decided to not use the formal dining area as a dining area) is when we have guests. Otherwise, we'll use lap trays in the living room while watching something on TV, either broadcast right then or something on a DVD. I watch a lot less TV than hubby does, though, so often I'm at the kitchen table alone with a book, magazine, or laptop. During Baseball Season, I'll listen to the game while I eat. Hubby would rather I listen as far away as I can, since he'd much rather watch TV than listen to my game. :laugh:

With the exception of eating dinner in my room to watch one of my favorite shows, I eat all of my meals in the kitchen with the newspaper.

This may be an over inquisitive question, but why don't you have a table?
I used to have a perfectly good 1960s dining room table from my parents' old house, but as with most of the stuff I had my ex didn't like it and threw it out. He replaced it with a monstrosity which needed setting up even for two people to sit at. It was far too heavy for me to move, so when he went, so did the table. There are only two spaces downstairs where a table would fit easily - one space is in the kitchen and is now home to my large chest freezer, and the other is in the front room and is now home to my computer desk. A couple of years ago, when my daughter's kitchen was first up and running, she had a lovely glass table and matching chairs which were up for grabs, but I had no way of getting it down here as it did not dismantle and also I had visions of the dog crashing through it, so it went to someone else instead.

We have a small flat but it does have a dining table and we like to eat there. I guess we are are a bit traditional in that way as we like to light a few candles and even have serviettes. On other times when we are both mega busy we chill out on the sofa with sandwiches or a take out.

We sit at the dining room table, occasionally for a lunch we sit on the sofa but 98% of the time we sit at the table. We were both raised this way and continue to do so.

Back
Top Bottom