Where do you keep your fresh veg?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:07 AM
Do you keep your fresh vegetables in the fridge? I must admit I tend to - just so they keep longer. But perhaps you use a vegetable rack or another system. I do keep potatoes and onions out - they are in a basket on top of a freezer under the stairs. What do you do?

Potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic kept in baskets in the open (potatoes separate). All other vegetables are kept in the fridge in the "salad drawer".

Potatoes, onions, shallots and garlic kept in baskets in the open (potatoes separate). All other vegetables are kept in the fridge in the "salad drawer".

[It is 36 degC here at the present time (97 degF)]

Last edited:
I keep onions and garlic out because I don't want their flavor influencing the flavor of things in the refrigerator. I keep potatoes out because...well, who has room for 10 pounds of potatoes in their refrigerator?? I also keep things like avocados and tomatoes out so they can ripen. But, if I can't get to them right away, I transfer them to the refrigerator so they don't get overripe.

Every other vegetable goes in the refrigerator immediately so they can keep longer.

But, I almost always keep fruits out. This sometimes changes when we get into the hot days of summer, and fruit flies start to show up.

I keep onions and garlic out because I don't want their flavor influencing the flavor of things in the refrigerator. I keep potatoes out because...well, who has room for 10 pounds of potatoes in their refrigerator?? I also keep things like avocados and tomatoes out so they can ripen. But, if I can't get to them right away, I transfer them to the refrigerator so they don't get overripe.

Every other vegetable goes in the refrigerator immediately so they can keep longer.

But, I almost always keep fruits out. This sometimes changes when we get into the hot days of summer, and fruit flies start to show up.

Sounds like we follow the same path with fruits and veggies.

I have a basket in a cupboard for potatoes, onions and garlic.
Bananas stay out on their own.
Other fruits, vegetables and salad in the fruit and vegetables drawer of the fridge. It has a movable divider depending on what's in there, though I usually leave it in the middle.

Bananas stay out on their own.

My wife regularly buys, and has given, bananas (in season) and leaves them out. I read somewhere that the fruits should be removed individually from the bunch for storage so that the deterioration of one does not affect the others. It doesn't appear to make much difference here as they do not appear to last more than a couple of days anyway.

bananas 2 s.jpg

I live in a first floor (American second floor) flat that is centrally heated and there is no cool space or larder. Veg, fruit, salads, etc are kept either in a small veg rack under a counter or in the fridge

Or at least that's what I thought until recently

I've been living here for 5 or 6 years and I've only just realised that I have an alternative
On the ground/1st floor, just inside the front door and opening onto the hallway there is a utility cupboard about the size of a large wardrobe, and made from the same concrete blocks & panels as the rest of the building (well, apart from the door!). As a result it is very cold. I've just checked and it's 12 C, and also windowless & dark

It's a bit scruffy, but mostly empty apart from the meters and a small box of car tools & oil on the ground
I think I'll clean it out and fix up one of those hanging wire basket vegetable racks..... and there is also room for wine & beer!

It's a bit scruffy, but mostly empty apart from the meters and a small box of car tools & oil on the ground
I think I'll clean it out and fix up one of those hanging wire basket vegetable racks..... and there is also room for wine & beer!

What a great idea! A hidden cupboard - I only wish I had one too. :)

If you're anywhere near Liverpool, I doubt that beer and wine will be safe unless you have a serious lock for the door.

[I lived on the Wirral for 10 years]

My door has two locks; the meter/utility cupboard opens into the hall, just inside the door, so it should be safe

But I think the booze is more in danger from the old reprobate who lives upstairs.....

My wife regularly buys, and has given, bananas (in season) and leaves them out. I read somewhere that the fruits should be removed individually from the bunch for storage so that the deterioration of one does not affect the others. It doesn't appear to make much difference here as they do not appear to last more than a couple of days anyway.

View attachment 15681
Apparently bananas emit certain gases (can't remember which) that cause other fruit to ripen (and decay) more quickly, so they are best stored separately.

Back
Top Bottom