Where do you keep your fresh veg?

Bananas have their own fruit bowl.

Potatoes usually get left in the ground until needed (cold, dark, dry... And if I forget then I don't need to sow them again next year!)

Onions are kept away from most things (similar situation to bananas)... Not in the fridge or with potatoes.

Lemons, limes, oranges and other citrus fruit are kept in the dark but not in the fridge.

Most other things (except lettuce and sometimes celery which both need water) are kept in the salad drawer of the fridge because of day time temperatures being too high (35-40C) and sometimes night time temperatures being too low (-10C).

Rocket, lettuce, leafy stuff I try to keep in the garden until needed but sometimes I pick too much so have to keep it in water on the windowsill.

Tomatoes, avocados and sometimes other fruit and veg, stay in the fridge until a few days before needed and then they are pulled out to ripen.

But if I can, most things stay on the plant in the garden veg plot until needed.

My wife regularly buys, and has given, bananas (in season) and leaves them out. I read somewhere that the fruits should be removed individually from the bunch for storage so that the deterioration of one does not affect the others. It doesn't appear to make much difference here as they do not appear to last more than a couple of days anyway.

View attachment 15681

But you'll have to eat them up or use them soon, because they begin to ripen & brown up very quick!!

Great for banana pudding!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom