Which fresh herbs do use most often?

I'm almost ashamed to admit this since it is one of the most common fresh herbs, but I use a LOT of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. (I find the curly one not as good). I don't use it as the odd sprig though but a fair handful of it! (I may need more to taste it since I have lost my sense of smell). I used to incorporate it into the dish at the very end but, since learning that it has more flavour if cooked, I now let it cook out a bit).

I'm almost ashamed to admit this since it is one of the most common fresh herbs, but I use a LOT of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley. (I find the curly one not as good). I don't use it as the odd sprig though but a fair handful of it! (I may need more to taste it since I have lost my sense of smell). I used to incorporate it into the dish at the very end but, since learning that it has more flavour if cooked, I now let it cook out a bit).

I'm a great fan of parsley - but I tend to use the curly type. I prefer the crispness and 'irony' flavour and its easier to chop finely. Plus, it keeps very well and doesn't go limp.

I'm a great fan of parsley - but I tend to use the curly type. I prefer the crispness and 'irony' flavour and its easier to chop finely. Plus, it keeps very well and doesn't go limp.
It's a long time since I bought that variety so I forget the flavour of it....interesting that you say it tastes more 'irony' - stronger? I think I am not keen on that very curly texture and chopping it up to finely (to offset that) would reduce its Vit C content (exposure to air).

Flat leaf parsley doesn't go limp when placed in a small container with water (for their stalks). I use up the bent stalk ones before that!

My mum favoured flat leaf parsley and, when I was her full time carer for 2 years, I used that and continued to do so afterwards.

I can't ever remember seeing a recipe that called for curly parsley specifically. Almost always flat leaf.

Curly is mostly used as a garnish.

Nuk, nuk, nuk, hey Moe, I'm a garnish.

Curly parsly has fallen out of fashion. It used to be the only sort available in the UK. If you want to make a good old-fashioned parsley sauce then I think the curly sort works best.

chopping it up to finely (to offset that) would reduce its Vit C content (exposure to air).

So don't you ever chop herbs? Or are you saying its only fine chopping reduces Vit. C?

Curly parsly has fallen out of fashion. It used to be the only sort available in the UK. If you want to make a good old-fashioned parsley sauce then I think the curly sort works best.

So don't you ever chop herbs? Or are you saying its only fine chopping reduces Vit. C?
Of course I chop herbs! Yes the fineness of the chopping (as mentioned - chopping it up too finely), i.e. more of the food exposed to Vit C. Nutrition is an established interest of mine....quite complex but interesting how vitamins and minerals interact and what can hinder their absorption.

From our back garden. I should make it clear, though I may do more cooking with them than she does, that these herbs grow at all in our garden is down to my wife's talents, not mine.

Cherry Tree
Cherry Tree.JPG

Not a herb I know, but nice!

Rosemary
Rosemary.JPG

Flat leaf parsley
Flat Leaf Parsley.JPG

Sage
Sage.JPG

Bay leaf
Bay Leaf.JPG

Mint
Mint.JPG

On the left, a little rhubarb. At the back, believe it or not, that ragged looking thing is oregano. I have hope it will get much better.
Rhubarb Oregano.JPG

I hope to make use of all of these during the forthcoming summer...

Basil, parsley, mint are my most used.

Coriander is the herb of the devil.

You must be one of those with the genetic 'taste sensor'. I am pleased I don't have that as I love the stuff . My daughter however does have that aversion 'it tastes like soap!'

You must be one of those with the genetic 'taste sensor'. I am pleased I don't have that as I love the stuff . My daughter however does have that aversion 'it tastes like soap!'
I do! Took me years to work out why my Indian Take Away tasted of dishwater! The place I used to use were very heavy handed with coriander :D.

I guess I use Parsley (both types), Coriander, Oregano, Marjoram, Rosemary and Lemon grass the most because those are the ones that have found their way into my new garden. Oh and peppermint and common mint. Ahh just realised I have missed off common thyme and creeping thyme and fennel. There is also Ginger and rhubarb growing in the garden along with a very baby Bay leaf bush. I think that is the current extent of my herb patches. They will be getting rearranged this winter now that I know what ones chickens like and don't like. Plus which ones need more water. The Rhubarb in particular is getting moved so that it gets more water because the summer was very dry and I had to water it twice a day, yet the roof of the house is tin and condensation condenses on it every morning and drips off... and one area in particular gets plenty of water as a result, so this is where the rhubarb is being moved to once the chicken manure has had time to do its work!

I've got and aged sage, a rather old rosemary and a bay in a bad way!

Must be almost sentient at this point. Does it scream when you pick the leaves?

I knew an old Rosemary, once.

And I've never had that last one... Do you know any sailors?

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be almost sentient at this point. Does it scream when you pick the leaves?

I knew an old Rosemary, once.

And I've never had that last one... Do you know any sailors?
I am sure you know what a bay is i.e. bayleaf!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom