Which 'new' things do you wash before using?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
10:25 AM
Mod.Edit. following few posts moved from General Chat thread to form new topic.
To widen the discussion, this could include food and drink, cooking utensils etc. (MG)

Not sure if this is a gender thing but when I buy new pants-underwear-I always wash them before wearing them even if they are from a packet, my husband never bothers to wash his before he puts them on.
Just a random thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is a gender thing but when I buy new pants-underwear-I always wash them before wearing them even if they are from a packet, my husband never bothers to wash his before he puts them on.
Just a random thought.
Not sure - neither of us wash new things although I usually polish new leather shoes / boots before wearing but that's just to help the leather soften a little

Just a random thought.

You do? Blimey - that never crossed my mind. I've even bought underwear (not pants - they don't do them!) from charity shops and worn it without washing it - bras, corsets (!) etc.

What are you both afraid of? Do you wash new duvet covers/sheets from the packet too? Flannels, towels?

There are a lot of plausible, obvious and sensible reasons for washing any clothing etc shop-bought (new or secondhand).

But here's another reason - I was told by a previous wife that you had to do it. As I'm easily influenced with regards to domestic matters - and hugely biddable - I've never questioned it. Everything either of my wives have ever instructed me to do is so deeply in-grained that I'd probably need several months of therapy if I decided to do anything different.

There are a lot of plausible, obvious and sensible reasons for washing any clothing etc shop-bought (new or secondhand).

But here's another reason - I was told by a previous wife that you had to do it. As I'm easily influenced with regards to domestic matters - and hugely biddable - I've never questioned it. Everything either of my wives have ever instructed me to do is so deeply in-grained that I'd probably need several months of therapy if I decided to do anything different.

:laugh:. I find it quite fascinating. I can't think of any plausible reasons at all to wash new clothes or towels or sheets (aside from what @Lullabelle said about starchy folded sheets from the packet). Would you have a brand new suit dry cleaned before wearing it?

So...if I hand knitted you a jumper for Christmas would you wash it before wearing it? This question is for @Lullabelle as well.

Perhaps we ought to tun this discussion into a thread to find out how widespread this 'superstition' is. :laugh:

:laugh:. I find it quite fascinating. I can't think of any plausible reasons at all to wash new clothes or towels or sheets (aside from what @Lullabelle said about starchy folded sheets from the packet). Would you have a brand new suit dry cleaned before wearing it?

So...if I hand knitted you a jumper for Christmas would you wash it before wearing it? This question is for @Lullabelle as well.

Perhaps we ought to tun this discussion into a thread to find out how widespread this 'superstition' is. :laugh:

For me it is personal choice not because I was told/advised to do it..

Yes I probably would carefully wash the jumper before wearing it :happy:

Widening the discussion - I rarely wash anything new before use. New plates? I might dust them off but I wouldn't bother to wash. Same with saucepans etc. I'm still here to tell the tale...

I rarely wash anything new before use

I think you must have a spotless and dust-free kitchen.

I wash things that I've already washed before I use them again. It's a particular problem in winter when the woodburner's lit - every time the stove door's opened more dust appears. And I'm not persuaded that just blowing it off is very effective.

On Tuesday I bought 2 t-shirts fron Next in the sale, they are on the line, new pants from M&S, washed and put away, haven't tried the bras yet but they will be washed before wear.

Sometimes new stuff can be a bit scratchy which is why I wash first, it isn't pleasant having an itch in public

Back
Top Bottom