Which pasta shapes do you use?

We do! I think Craig was a bit off with his #s, probably correct on a regular basis, but we use all the ones BT uses, though we weren't counting raviolis and tortellinis since they are filled, plus we usually make pappardelle and fettucini, especially if going with something like my multi meat bolognese, which is a large batch, 2 day process, then packaged in meal portions and frozen, that we will be having next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhmmm difficult :giggle: I use spaghetti (normal or "alla chitarra"), tagliatelle, tagliolini, vermicelli, bucatini, pappardelle, penne, torciglioni, maccheroncini, fusilli, farfalle, orecchiette, strozzapreti, gnocchi, rido and for the stuffed pasta tortellini, cappelletti, ravioli, cappellacci, etc
surely I forgot something.
It depends on the dish but not only for the shape but even if with condiment it takes an egg pasta or not

Do you have a chitarra? I think that would be cool to actually use one.

Spaghetti, lasagne and macaroni are widely available here but I tend to use fusilli. Penne and fettuccine can be found in some supermarkets. I remember seeing the bent tubes somewhere, can't remember what it's called.

Possibly cavatappi?

I forgot about that one. Also lasagna, and squid ink linguini, and tri-color penne or rotini.

@buckytom said:

:laugh: Do you both have a special pasta cupboard to keep them all in?

Lol, no. We usually have only 8 or 10 shapes of pasta on hand at any given time; whatever is on sale over a few weeks. But we could live for a few months just on what is in the pantry and cupboards.

What is a chitarra?
20180512_171430.png

Lol, I read that as zatara, which means drift wood. (from The Count of Monte Cristo)

What is a chitarra?

Chitarra means guitar/stringed instrument in English.

Sandra posted a nice picture, but since the details are a little hard to see, it's a wood framed box with wires strung tightly across it. Commercially made ones are usually 2 sided, each side with slightly different widths between the wires, and framed so they are open and angled so the pasta slides out of 1 side. They make square shaped spaghetti instead of round. I looked them up just to see how much one costs. It got very mixed reviews but Amazon has one for under $35. There's also a tutorial for making one using zither tuning pins and piano or guitar wire. Apparently, there are also cutting pieces on some pasta machines that emulate chitarra cut spaghetti. I think ours has one, but I'll have to wait until Craig gets home as I don't feel like climbing up on the step ladder to look.

We probably eat pasta about once a week on average, sometimes twice.

As above, the spaghetti is square.
Tagliatelle is square, is it not? Well not 'square' exactly but flat and in thin strips with straight cut sides. Not thin tubes like spaghetti. Isn't that what the chitarra machine makes? Please forgive me if I am being dumb!

Tagliatelle:

fresh-egg-tagliatelle-pasta-machine-5950894.jpg

No, it's supposed to be a square, like 2x2, like a square wood dowel, same measurements width, depth, the length like a spaghetti noodle.

Your pictured pasta isn't square, it's rectangular, i.e. wider than the depth.

Back
Top Bottom